Overview of the STR Exam Requirement:
House Bill 3, passed during the 86th Texas Legislature, established the requirement that all teacher candidates who teach students in grades Pre-K-6 demonstrate proficiency in the science of teaching reading on a new, standalone certification exam. This requirement takes effect on January 1, 2021.
The STR exam will be required for the issuance of five certification fields:
- Early Childhood: EC – Grade 3
- Core Subjects with Science of Teaching Reading: Early Childhood–Grade 6
- Core Subjects with Science of Teaching Reading: Grades 4–8
- English Language Arts and Reading with Science of Teaching Reading: Grades 4–8
- English Language Arts and Reading/Social Studies with Science of Teaching Reading: Grades 4–8
The STR exam will be required for the issuance of intern, probationary, and standard certifications for these certification fields beginning January 1, 2021.
Teachers who are currently standard certified in Core Subjects: EC-6, Core Subjects: 4-8, English Language Arts and Reading: 4-8, or English Language Arts and Social Studies: 4-8 will not be required to pass the STR exam for renewal of their certificate. The STR exam requirement only impacts candidates seeking certification after Jan. 1, 2021.
Content of The STR Exam
The Science of Teaching Reading Exam Content and Design document provides information on the structure of the exam.
STR Preparation Manual
The Preparation Manual for Science of Teaching Reading (293) is now available on the Texas Educator Certification Examination Program website.
This preparation manual includes:
- The STR examination framework
- Approaches to answering different question types
- Sample selected-response questions
- In-depth rationales for correct and incorrect responses
- A sample constructed response question, including the video exhibit
- Sample strong and weak constructed-responses and rationales
- A list of preparation resources
STR Webinar Resources
- STR Exam Timelines and Requirements Webinar: A short informational webinar that outlines the STR exam requirement and the timelines associated with the STR exam. This webinar is designed as a tool to support educator preparation programs and teacher candidates understand critical requirements and deadlines ahead of the January 1, 2021 STR exam mandate.
- Watch the TEA Science of Teaching Reading Webinar (video).
- Review the TEA Science of Teaching Reading Webinar Presentation (pdf).
- To request additional topics for upcoming STR exam related webinars, please complete the following survey: https://bit.ly/STRExamTopics
Constructed Response Example
Dr. McEnery provides a guided example of how to complete the constructed response question.