Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES)
The Texas Education Agency (TEA), together with the Educational Testing Service (ETS) has developed exams for each educator certificate, called Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES).
NOTE: Several TExES Exams are changing. Read more about TExES Exam Changes to find out if this affects you.
Updates are made to the documents on this website frequently. To ensure you are accessing the latest version, refresh your browser or clear your browser cache.
- Art (Grades EC-12)
- Bilingual Education Supplemental-Spanish
- Core Subjects (Grades 4-8)
- Core Subjects (Grades EC-6)
- English Language Arts and Reading (Grades 4-8)
- English Language Arts and Reading (Grades 7-12)
- English Language Arts and Reading/Social Studies (Grades 4-8)
- English as a Second Language Supplemental
- History (Grades 7-12)
- Life Science (Grades 7-12)
- Mathematics (Grades 4-8)
- Mathematics (Grades 7-12)
- Physical Education (Grades EC-12)
- Principal as Instructional Leader (Grades EC-12)
- Reading Specialist (Grades EC-12)
- School Counselor (Grades EC-12)
- School Librarian (Grades EC-12)
- Science (Grades 4-8)
- Social Studies (Grades 4-8)
- Social Studies (Grades 7-12)
- Special Education (Grades EC-12)
- Superintendent (Grades EC-12)
Education Certification Policy and Procedures
Visit the Texas Educator Certification Requirements page for details regarding policies and procedures to become a certified Texas educator.
- UHCL Undergraduate TExES Exam Policy
- UHCL Undergraduate BTLPT TExES Exam Policy
- Undergraduate State Assessments FAQ
- UHCL Graduate TExES Exam Policy
Steps to TExES Certification Exam Approval
Refer to the UHCL TExES Exam Policy for requirements for taking and passing your certification exam.
After submission of your PSP, you may register for and take your practice exams using the following sites.
After you've passed a practice exam, you will receive an email giving you approval to register for the TExES Certification Exam.
Undergraduate students will be given approval to take their certification exams after they are admitted to the Teacher Education Program (TEP).
Register for the TExES State Exam (www.tx.nesinc.com).
If you fail your certification exam, refer to instructions on the UHCL Undergraduate TExES Exam Policy for next steps.
Graduate students will be given approval to take their certification exams upon completion of required courses as designated in the Graduate TExES Exam Policy (PSP).
Register for the TExES State Exam (www.tx.nesinc.com).
If you fail your certification exam, refer to instructions on the UHCL Graduate TExES Exam Policy for next steps.
TExES Preparation Resources
There are many preparation resources for every certification exam. Select test preparation links specific to your certification.
Undergraduate Study Aids
- PPR, Core Subjects, Generalist
- Secondary Content
- Social Studies
- ESL, BTLPT, Bilingual Education, SPED
- ESL Proficiency Standards Study Video
Graduate Study Aids
CertifyTeacher provides online interactive practice tests/readiness reviews at a discounted price
for UHCL students using promo code UHCL4728 and an account with their UHCL email address.
Our discounted, one-time fee provides access for up to three years or until you pass your state assessment, whichever comes first. Discounted prices are below:
- Content Titles: $35/student - regularly $80
- Science of Teaching Reading (293): $35/student - regularly $80
- Reading Specialist (151): $35/student - regularly $80
- School Counselor (152): $35/student - regularly $80
- Principal as Instructional Leader (268): $165/student - regularly $180
- Superintendent (195): $100/student - regularly $115
- Go to https://www.certifyteacher.com.
- Select the study guide you wish to purchase.
Make sure to select the online version option. You will have access to the program until you receive a passing grade from the state.
- Click Login under the Apply Promo Code option on the My Shopping Cart page.
- Click Sign In under “I Don’t Have an Account Yet” to create your account.
You must use your UHCL email (include @uhcl.edu). The promo code will not work for any other email.
- Enter the promo code, UHCL4728 when prompted. The displayed price will drop to the discounted price after entering
the promo code.
- Complete the purchase by providing your credit card information.
You can access your online readiness review solution seconds after the purchase transaction is complete.
- Read How to Use CertifyTeacher for the recommended approach to the modules in the program.
240 Tutoring provides free online interactive practice tests/readiness reviews. There is a $39.99 monthly subscription which gives you access to all the state or test series study guides, diagnostic tests, and practice exams.
240 Tutoring has practice tests available for the Science of Teaching Reading certification exam.
Pearson's TExES Interactive Practice Exams are designed to simulate the actual testing experience. They include questions representative of the actual exam.
Each interactive practice exam offers:
- Convenient online access
- An interactive exam simulation featuring sample exam questions
- Comprehensive, immediate feedback on your performance for the selected-response questions
- A realistic online experience similar to an actual computer-administered testing environment.
The Science of Teaching Reading TExES Exam will be required beginning January 2021.
Check out the Upcoming Workshops section for the next SOTR Constructed Response Workshop.
The following STR Test information is taken from the TEA Science of Teaching Reading webpage.
Overview of the STR Exam Requirements
House Bill 3, passed during the 86th Texas Legislature, established the requirement that all teacher candidates who teach students in grades Pre-K-6 demonstrate proficiency in the science of teaching reading on a new, standalone certification exam. This requirement takes effect on January 1, 2021.The STR exam will be required for the issuance of five certification fields:
- Early Childhood: EC – Grade 3
- Core Subjects with Science of Teaching Reading: Early Childhood–Grade 6
- Core Subjects with Science of Teaching Reading: Grades 4–8
- English Language Arts and Reading with Science of Teaching Reading: Grades 4–8
- English Language Arts and Reading/Social Studies with Science of Teaching Reading: Grades 4–8
The STR exam will be required for the issuance of intern, probationary, and standard certifications for these certification fields beginning January 1, 2021.
Teachers who are currently standard certified in Core Subjects: EC-6, Core Subjects: 4-8, English Language Arts and Reading: 4-8, or English Language Arts and Social Studies: 4-8 will not be required to pass the STR exam for renewal of their certificate. The STR exam requirement only impacts candidates seeking certification after January 1, 2021.
Content, Standards, Design, and Framework
The Science of Teaching Reading Content and Design document provides information on the structure of the exam.
STR Preparation Manual
The Preparation Manual for Science of Teaching Reading (293) is now available on the Texas Educator Certification Examination Program website.
This preparation manual includes:
- The STR examination framework
- Approaches to answering different question types
- Sample selected-response questions
- In-depth rationales for correct and incorrect responses
- A sample constructed response question, including the video exhibit
- Sample strong and weak constructed-responses and rationales
- A list of preparation resources
STR Webinar Resources
- STR Exam Timelines and Requirements Webinar: A short informational webinar that outlines the STR exam requirement and the timelines associated with the STR exam. This webinar is designed as a tool to support educator preparation programs and teacher candidates understand critical requirements and deadlines ahead of the January 1, 2021 STR exam mandate.
Watch the TEA Science of Teaching Reading Webinar (video)
Review the TEA Science of Teaching Reading Webinar Presentation (pdf).
To request additional topics for upcoming STR exam related webinars, please complete the following survey: https://bit.ly/STRExamTopics
Visit UHCL’s Neumann Library for state educator certification exam test preparation resources, links to applications and resources and grade-specific textbooks on various subjects in the curriculum library:
- TExES preparation books and ebooks:
- Most are traditional study guides (e.g., Barrons, Research & Education Association).
- Some support the study of a content area such as "A Young Person’s History of the United States" or "Everything You Need to Know about English Homework."
- Print books are on reserve behind the circulation desk and may be checked out by currently enrolled UHCL students for 3 weeks.
- Learning Express Library - Free for UHCL students
Create an account in Learning Express to access practice exams:
- PPR EC-12
- Core Subjects (EC-6): Social Studies
- Core Subjects (EC-6): Mathematics
- Core Subjects (EC-6): Science
- Core Subjects (EC-6): Fine Arts, Health, and Physical Education
- Core Subjects (EC-6): English Language Arts and Reading (ELAR) & the Science of Teaching Reading
- Multicultural/Bilingual links:
- Bilingual education
- Study and teaching of the English language
- Spanish language juvenile materials
- Spanish language juvenile materials
- Spanish language reference materials
- Neumann Library's Databases A-Z page has additional Spanish-language content such as Referencia Latina, MedicLatina, AHFS Consumer Medication Information, DSM-5 Library (includes Spanish-language edition) and Fuente Academica Premier
- Success Coaching with Student Success Center
Meet regularly 1-on-1 with an success coach either one hour/week or every other week at to master academic skills. Or, request a one-time session on one skill.
Skill areas include:
- Organization and time/task management
- Academic reading speed and strategy
- Note taking
- Test-taking strategy
- Critical thinking
- Public speaking
- Check your UHCL email for upcoming review sessions, which occur periodically.
- How to study and prepare for a TExES exam
- How I passed the PPR exam
- Passing the TExES exam on my FIRST try
- TExES CORE Subjects EC-6: Social Studies (w/Practice Questions)
- TExES CORE Subjects EC-6: Math - What You Need to Know
- FTCE Elementary Education K-6: Science - Everything You Need to Know to Pass
- FTCE Elementary Education K-6: Language Arts (w/ Practice Questions)
- Preparación para exámenes de dominio del idioma español (BTLPT) - Introducción