Apprentice Teaching (TCED 4700)
Qualifications to Enter into Apprentice Teaching
Students must meet the following requirements for admission to Apprentice Teaching:
- All Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES) exams must be passed by the benchmark
dates to be eligible for Internship II Clinical Teaching:
- June 1 to participate in the fall semester.
- January 1 to participate in spring semester.
- Enrolled in a UHCLTeach program at UHCL.
- Successful completion of 3000 level WRIT course for your major with a grade of "C+" or better.
- Successful completion of all field experiences courses.
- A grade point average (GPA) of 3.000 or better in pedagogy courses.
- A GPA of 2.500 or better in specialization courses with grades of "C-"or better in all other coursework at UHCL.
- Successful completion of TCED 4102.
Apprentice Teaching Clinical Teaching Program
UHCL Clinical teachers are provided with experiences that will assist in the development and application of knowledge, skills and dispositions to continue their growth and development as new teachers. They accept increasing responsibility for their development as professional educators, demonstrate their ability to integrate and implement the knowledge, skills and dispositions of effective teaching, continue development as critical reflective thinkers, while becoming self-confident and effective practitioners.
During the Apprentice Teaching semester, clinical teachers will adhere to the instructional day of the PDS site Monday through Friday. They are responsible for understanding and applying school policies and procedures for their designated PDS and the Internship I and II Handbook. They will participate in ALL aspects of the professional role of teacher, including, but not limited to: professional committees and meetings; monitoring duty (cafeteria, bus lines, etc.); parent and student conferencing; extra-curricular activities with prior approval of the district supervisor; and, other assigned professional duties. Field supervisors will provide a calendar with all dates and times for Internship II meetings, assignment due dates, and attendance requirements.
NOTE: No more than three additional semester hours may be taken during Apprentice Teaching (TCED 4700). These additional courses must meet no earlier than 7 p.m., as they may interfere with Apprentice Teaching course requirements. See a COE advisor for acceptable coursework.