Revised Policy: Internship II Testing Date
Please see "Education Certification Policy and Procedures" and then the "UHCL Governing Policies" link (#9 in red) for new testing due date requirement.
Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES)
The Texas Education Agency (TEA), together with the Educational Testing Service (ETS) has developed exams for each educator certificate, called Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES).
All students should become familiar with and refer to the policies governing the TExES exams throughout their course of study. Texas Educator Certification Examination Program (www.tx.nesinc.com)
- Art (Grades EC-12)
- Bilingual Education Supplemental-Spanish (Grades NA)
- Core Subjects (Grades 4-8)
- Core Subjects (Grades EC-6)
- English Language Arts and Reading (Grades 4-8)
- English Language Arts and Reading (Grades 7-12)
- English Language Arts and Reading/Social Studies (Grades 4-8)
- English as a Second Language Supplemental (Grades NA)
- Gifted and Talented Supplemental (Grades NA)
- History (Grades 7-12)
- Life Science (Grades 7-12)
- Master Math Teacher (4-8) (Grades 4-8)
- Master Math Teacher (8-12) (Grades 8-12)
- Master Math Teacher (EC-4) (Grades EC-4)
- Master Reading Teacher (Grades EC-12)
- Master Technology Teacher (Grades EC-12)
- Mathematics (Grades 4-8)
- Mathematics (Grades 7-12)
- Physical Education (Grades EC-12)
- Physical Science (Grades 6-12)
- Principal (Grades EC-12)
- Principal as Instructional Leader (Grades EC-12)
- Reading Specialist (Grades EC-12)
- School Counselor (Grades EC-12)
- School Librarian (Grades EC-12)
- Science (Grades 4-8)
- Social Studies (Grades 4-8)
- Social Studies (Grades 7-12)
- Special Education (Grades EC-12)
- Special Education Supplemental (Grades NA)
- Superintendent (Grades EC-12)
Undergraduate Initial Teacher Certification candidates must:
- GPA Requirement: At least 2.75 for undergraduates and 3.0 for graduates
- Have an approved, signed degree plan on file in the College of Education that matches the state assessments for which they are registering.
- Successfully complete and earn credit (CR) in TCED 4100 (Core Subjects EC-6 and Core Subjects 4-8 Teacher Seminar) or TCED 4102 (Middle- and High School Level Content Seminar).
- Read and complete UHCL Policy Governing the TExES Exams.
- Pass all required paper-based practice exams with a score of at least 80%.
- Pass at least two state exams - a content and a pedagogy exam.
Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification candidates must:
- Have an approved, signed certification plan on file in the College of Education.
- Read and complete UHCL Policy Governing the TExES Exams.
- Take their content state exam as a Pre-Admission Content Test (PACT) before being
admitted to the Teacher Education Program (TEP). Visit the Texas Education Agency for more information.
- Must take the Pedagogy & Professional Responsibilities (PPR) state exam after being admitted to the Teacher Education Program (TEP).
Professional Educator (Graduate Level) Certification candidates must:
- Have an approved signed degree/certification plan on file in the College of Education
that matches the state assessments for which they are registering.
- Read and follow the UHCL Educator Certification Test Taking Policy for Graduate-Level Certification Candidates.
- Successfully complete certain courses before obtaining approval to take a state exam.
- Pass the respective paper-based practice exam with a score of at least 85%.
- Pass one state exam (e.g. Principal, Reading Specialist, School Counselor, School Librarian, Master Teacher or Superintendent).
Steps to Certification
Accommodation: If you require an accommodation to participate in the certification process, visit the Disability Services office and follow their procedure for registering for services.
- Undergraduates complete EDUC 4310, INST 3313 and SILC 4315, which includes ELPS.
- Be enrolled in or have completed in TCED 4100 or 4102 (undergraduate) or ADSU course (graduate).
Undergraduate passing grade: 80%
Graduate passing grade: 85%
To determine which state assessments are required for your certificate, check your degree or certification plan, or ask a College of Education adviser.
A test for every certification area offered at UHCL. Testing is offered multiple times by the Office of State Assessments. If you fail a TEA Rep Test (practice test), you must wait 7 days to retest.
- View/print the TEA Representative exam (formerly practice exam) schedule.
- Register for a TEA Representative exam (formerly practice exam).
- Additionally, BTLPT students only may register to take the BTLPT and Bilingual Supplemental practice exams through the UHCL Testing Center (Be sure to choose "Student Proctoring" and then select over 4 hours).
4. Take the practice exam(s) until you receive a passing score.
At this point, students who have UHCL approval and an approved PSP may optionally register for and take the TExES Certification exam.
- Register for the TExES State Exam (www.tx.nesinc.com).
Reference: Creating a Testing Account, Registering and Scheduling your Exam (pdf)
- Undergraduates must first complete other Teacher Education courses (e.g., Methods)
and register for the TExES Exam while enrolled Intern I 4378.
If you have questions about your courses, please contact your adviser.
- Report score to StateAssessments@uhcl.edu.
- If passed, students check their degree plans for the next steps. Undergraduates complete
Intern II 4978.
- If failed, score requirement increases by 5%. Students must submit another PSP and retake Practice Exams.
TExES Preparation Resources
There are many preparation resources for every certification exam. Select test preparation links specific to your certification.
CertifyTeacher provides online interactive practice tests/readiness reviews at a discounted price
for UHCL students using promo code UHCL4728 and an account with their UHCL email address.
Discounted prices are as follows:
- Content titles: $25/student - regularly $55
- Principal (068): $75/student - regularly $90
- Superintendent (195): $100/student - regularly $115
- Go to https://www.certifyteacher.com.
- Select the study guide you wish to purchase.
Make sure to select the online version option. You will have access to the program until you receive a passing grade from the state.
- Click Login under the Apply Promo Code option on the My Shopping Cart page.
- Click Sign In under “I Don’t Have an Account Yet” to create your account.
You must use your UHCL email (include @uhcl.edu). The promo code will not work for any other email.
- Enter the Promo Code, UHCL4728 when prompted. The displayed price will drop to the
discounted price after entering the promo code.
- Complete the purchase by providing your credit card information.
You can access your online readiness review solution seconds after the purchase transaction is complete.
- Read How to Use CertifyTeacher (pdf, 500 KB) for the recommended approach to the modules in the program.
Visit UHCL’s Neumann Library for state educator certification exam test preparation resources, links to applications and resources and grade-specific textbooks on various subjects in the curriculum library:
- TExES preparation books and ebooks:
- Most are traditional study guides (e.g., Barrons, Research & Education Association).
- Some support the study of a content area such as "A Young Person’s History of the United States" or "Everything You Need to Know about English Homework."
- Print books are on reserve behind the circulation desk and may be checked out by currently enrolled UHCL students for 3 weeks.
- Learning Express Library - Free for UHCL students
Create an account in Learning Express to access practice exams:
- PPR EC-12
- Core Subjects (EC-6): Social Studies
- Core Subjects (EC-6): Mathematics
- Core Subjects (EC-6): Science
- Core Subjects (EC-6): Fine Arts, Health, and Physical Education
- Core Subjects (EC-6): English Language Arts and Reading (ELAR) & the Science of Teaching Reading
- Multicultural/Bilingual links:
- Bilingual education
- Study and teaching of the English language
- Spanish language juvenile materials
- Spanish language K-12 curriculum materials
- Spanish language reference materials
- Neumann Library's Databases A-Z page has additional Spanish-language content such as Referencia Latina, MedicLatina, AHFS Consumer Medication Information, DSM-5 Library (includes Spanish-language edition) and Fuente Academica Premier
- Academic Coaching with Student Success Center
Meet regularly 1-on-1 with an academic coach either one hour/week or every other week at to master academic skills. Or, request a one-time session on one skill.
Skill areas include:
- Organization and time/task management
- Academic reading speed and strategy
- Note taking
- Test-taking strategy
- Critical thinking
- Public speaking
- Check your UHCL email for upcoming review sessions, which occur periodically.
Student Resources has links related to ACP, Master's Options, Support Letters, Lesson Plans and general information.
Please take our three-question survey. We appreciate you sharing your opinion with us.