Skip Top Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I access my degree audit?

Students can view their official degree audit by clicking on "Degree Progress Report" through E-Services.

For assistance navigating E-Services, please contact the Welcome Center at 281-283-2722.

How do I apply for College of Education (COE) scholarships?

UHCL scholarship applications are offered in February. Those funds are awarded the following school year. For available scholarships and application guidelines, please visit Scholarships.

If additional funds are available, the College of Education will offer scholarship applications in the fall. Those applications, historically done in September, are only available from the COE Office of Advising. Contact your advisor at the beginning of each fall semester for more information.

What do I do if a class is full?

For College of Education (COE) courses, contact a COE academic advisor and give the advisor the name and section of the course you are trying to get into. Submitting an override request does not guarantee that you will be placed in a course; each request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

For courses in other schools, please contact their respective advising offices:

  • College of Human Science and Humanities (HSH): 281-283-3333
  • College of Science and Engineering (CSE): 281-283-3711

How do I get permission to take more hours during the semester?

For the fall and spring semesters, the university limits course loads to a maximum of 12 hours for graduate students and 19 hours for undergraduates. For summer, the limits are 9 hours for graduate students and 12 hours for undergraduate students.

To request a registration overload, the student must make a written request to the Associate Dean in the College of Education. Submitting the request does not guarantee an overload will be granted. Each request is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Contact the College of Education Advising office at 281-283-3600 for more information.

Can I go back and take core and lower-level coursework I am lacking for my degree at the community college?

Yes, core curriculum and lower-level coursework can be taken at the community college after enrolling in courses at UHCL. Students must complete an "Off-Campus Course Permission Form" prior to enrolling in courses at another institution. Forms are located in the literature racks outside Bayou 1231 or by email from your advisor.

No courses can be taken off-campus in the student's final semester at UHCL.

Will I be required to pass a criminal background check?

Yes, you will. As required by Texas Senate Bill 9, the district will conduct a criminal background check on each student before the student is allowed in a school for a field experience. The criminal background check is conducted for each field-experience course each semester and for each district in which the student is completing a field experience. If a student is denied access to a district based on the criminal background check, the student cannot get credit for the course. The student will not be able to register for any further field experience course until the situation has been corrected. Visit the Field Experience Criminal History Background Check website for more information. 

What is Pedagogy coursework?

Pedagogy courses are teacher methodology classes that require field experience during the typical public school hours. Admission to the Teacher Education Program (TEP) is required before enrolling in most pedagogy courses.

Pedagogy and all other courses requiring field experience (see UHCL Catalog course descriptions) must be completed prior to Internship II. No more than 2 such courses can be taken with Internship I. See your advisor for help with planning semesters appropriately.

What is Pre-service Internship?

Pre-service Internship is a one-year experience at the end of our educational program where students are placed in professional development schools with veteran educators for maximum experiential learning. Pre-service Internship is non-paid. Students must apply the long semester prior to each expected internship semester. Visit the Internship Application Process webpage for more information. 

What do I need to do to prepare for graduation?

Students need to apply for graduation at the beginning of their final semester even if they do not plan to participate in the May or December commencement ceremony. Applying for graduation lets the university know you have completed requirements to receive your degree. For application deadline and instructions, contact the Welcome Center at 281-283-2722, or log into your E-Services account. Submit the appropriate form with the necessary fee by the stated deadline.

How can I contact UHCL College of Education (COE) advisers?

Bayou Building, Suite 1231

Advising Appointment:
You may make an appointment with your assigned academic advisor through the Navigate mobile app.

UHCL Open House:
Held each fall and spring semester


  • College of Education Advising Center

    Phone: 281-283-3600

    Bayou Building 1231
    2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 188
    Houston, TX 77058-1002