A Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan is an unsubsidized loan available to graduate students.
Graduate PLUS Loan Application Requirements
- You must attend at least half-time (6 hours)
- You must have good credit history. (If you have weak credit you may be eligible with a credit-worthy co-borrower or by documenting extenuating circumstances)
- You must complete the FAFSA
Applying for a Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is a four-step process
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Complete a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Application online at studentloans.gov. The U.S. Department of Education will complete a credit check. UHCL will receive your online application and credit decision within a week.
- Complete Direct Graduate PLUS Loan entrance counseling (link is www.studentloans.gov)
- Complete the Direct PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN) after being notified by our office to do so
After your Grad PLUS Loan is approved, we’ll ask you to complete the Federal Direct PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note. The MPN acts as a contract between you and the U.S. Department of Education. By signing the MPN, you promise to repay the amount loaned and agree to other important terms of the loan. You must complete the MPN so we can apply the funds to your account. You can sign the MPN online at www.studentloans.gov.
PLUS Counseling is required if the U.S. Department of Education(DOE) has informed you that you have an adverse credit history and you have obtained an endorser or documented to the satisfaction of the U.S. DOE that there are extenuating circumstances related to your adverse credit history. To complete PLUS Counseling, log in at studentloans.gov and click Complete Counseling, and then select PLUS Counseling.
PLUS Loan Repayment
- Repayment begins 6 months after you fall below a half-time enrollment status.
- The repayment term is up to 10 years
- There is no grace period. Interest starts when the first disbursement is made
PLUS Loan Borrowing Limits
With a PLUS loan, you can borrow up to the cost of attendance minus any other financial aid awarded.
|Loan Type||First Disbursed between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019|
|Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans (for Undergraduate Students)||Fixed at 5.05%|
|Direct Unsubsidized Loans (for Graduate or Professional Students)||Fixed at 6.60%|
|Direct PLUS Loans (Parents and Graduate or Professional Students)||Fixed at 7.60%|
In addition to charging interest, PLUS loans also charge a 4.264% origination fee. The fee comes out of the first funds you receive from your loan. Please double check all fees and interest charges at www.studentloans.gov.
Receiving your money
Your loan money will be applied to your student account. We deduct tuition, fees and/or other balances. If there’s anything left over we refund it to you according to the university's refund process.