Two-Factor Authentication with Duo
What is Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)?
2FA is an additional layer of authentication beyond a username and password. 2FA involves something that you know (password) plus something that you have with you (like a cellphone or tablet) to prevent someone from logging in with only your password. With Duo 2FA, you still enter your username and password. The second factor provided by Duo is simply an added layer of security on top of your existing credentials. Click here for more information about Two-Factor Authentication.
Why are we moving to Two-Factor Authentication?
Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) is the most effective way to secure our computer accounts and it is easy to use! If you’ve ever received a text message to confirm your identity when you log into an online retailer or banking site, you’ve used 2FA. It allows you to confirm your identity by text message, phone call, mobile application, and other methods.
What authentication method is right for me?
- Duo Push - if you prefer using a mobile app, download the Duo Mobile App. Push notifications are the fastest way to confirm your identity but requires you to run the DUO mobile app on your smartphone. You can download the Duo Mobile App on Android and iOS Devices.
- Call Me - if you prefer to not use the app, you can opt to receive a call that will ask you to “push any number to proceed…” If you don't carry a smartphone, we can call you on a cell phone or landline.
- Passcode - if you prefer to enter codes created within the Duo Mobile App, receiving SMS texts to your mobile device, using a hardware token provided by an administrator. Passcode doesn't require you to be online but requires a special device or mobile app on your phone. If using the SMS text option, click Send Codes to have a new passcode texted to your phone.
Duo authentication methods can be configured at:
- Hardware Token - You can purchase a hardware token through CougarByte at UH Central. You must select the one specifically for UH-Clear Lake. Once purchased, contact the OIT Support Center to pick up and configure your hardware token.
- Security Key - A security key plugs into your USB port and when tapped or when the button is pressed it sends a signed response back to Duo to validate your login. Duo uses the U2F and WebAuthn authentication standards to interact with your security keys. You can enroll your security key during the initial self-enrollment process or, if you have already enrolled in Duo using a different device (like your mobile phone), you can add your security key as an additional authentication device from the device management portal.
Whichever method you choose, please make sure to check 30-day authentication box. Checking this box means that you won't be prompted by DUO again for 30 days. After 30 days, you will need to authenticate again.
How to set up the Duo App on your smartphone
All users will get an automated email from Duo Security containing a device registration link. Once setup has begun:
- Select the Mobile phone option
- Enter your phone number
- Select your device type
- If you haven't already, install the Duo app for iPhone or Android
- A QR Code will appear on the screen - scan it into the Duo App
- Select your default activation method and click Finish Enrollment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ensure you have installed the Duo mobile application with the green icon labeled DUO.
- Open the Duo mobile app
- Press and hold on the Duo-Protected University of Houston account,
- Click remove account and then select remove account.
- On your Android device look for the Google Play Store
- Press the Google Play
- To begin using it, press the Duo mobile app on your Android.
- Supported Platforms:
The current version of Duo mobile supports Android 7.0 and greater. Support for older Duo mobile versions on Android 6.0 ended July 28, 2019.
Duo does not provide official support for non-standard custom Android distributions like OnePlus, LineageOS, or ColorOS, nor is Duo Mobile supported for use on ChromeOS.
To see which version of Duo mobile is installed on your device, go to the Android Settings menu, tap Apps, then scroll down and tap Duo mobile. The "App Info" screen shows the version.
- On your iPhone device look for the App Store.
- Press the App Store icon.
- To begin using it, press the DUO mobile app on your iPhone.
- Supported Platforms:
The current version of Duo mobile supports iOS 11.0 and greater. Support for older Duo mobile versions on iOS 10.0 ended July 28, 2019.
To see which version of Duo mobile is installed on your device, go to the iOS Settings menu, then scroll down and tap Duo mobile. The "System Info" section shows the app version.
To set this up follow these instructions:
- Login to the Two-Factor Authentication portal.
- Select My Settings & Devices,
- Choose your default device.
- In the When I login drop-down select: Automatically send this device a Duo Push.
- Click Save.
- Tap Edit in the upper left corner of the app.
- Tap the red delete icon to the left of the Duo-Protected University of Houston account.
- Tap "Delete", and confirm the deletion.