Department of Accounting
A Leader in the Accounting Education
University of Houston-Clear Lake's Department of Accounting offers you a robust foundation in contemporary accounting and business principles and the well-rounded education that employers desire. As one of only two universities in Houston with an AACSB International accreditation specifically for accounting, UHCL can give you the edge you need as you prepare for a career in auditing, forensic accounting, financial accounting, internal auditing, managerial accounting or tax planning.
Programs and Degrees
- Accounting B.S.
- Accounting M.S.
- Professional Accounting Integrated B.S./M.S.
- Professional Accounting Integrated B.S./M.S. with Concentration in Management Information Systems
Course Mode and Flexibility
The Department of Accounting offers courses in different instructional modalities to ensure quality and flexibility of learning. The department offers undergraduate and graduate accounting courses in fully in-person, hybrid (part in-person, part online), and 100% online modalities. Select programs above to review course mode and location availability.
Accreditations and Awards
UHCL is one of only two universities in Houston with separate accreditation for its business and accounting programs from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International Accreditation – the highest standard of achievement for business schools worldwide. We are also one of 14 Texas universities to hold AACSB accreditation in accounting.
In addition, the Zeta Upsilon Chapter recently received international recognition as a Superior Chapter, along with a $500 award, from the Beta Alpha Psi Board of Directors. Under the leadership of Professor Randall Xu, the Zeta Upsilon Chapter far exceeded the baseline requirements of Beta Alpha Psi and excelled in the areas of academics, professionalism and leadership during the 2019-2020 academic year.
Scholarship Opportunities for Students
We offer numerous scholarships for new students and veterans, as well as 33 named internal scholarships specifically dedicated to business students.
External Scholarship Opportunities for Accounting Students:
- Fifth-Year Accounting Student Scholarship Program of Texas State Board of Public Accountancy (TSBPA)
Creating Success for Students
Our degree programs give you the education and experiences you need to thrive in your career. Whether you are interested in a role as an auditor, a cost accountant, a financial accountant, a forensic accountant, a governmental accountant, or a tax accountant, the Department of Accounting will provide the coursework and opportunities you need. The Accounting B.S. program provides conceptual accounting and business knowledge as a foundation for accounting-related positions, as well as provides a basis for further study to pursue a career in public accounting. The Accounting M.S. program provides a broad-based background in business and depth and breadth in accounting. It gives students a strong basis for exercising judgment in accounting-related decisions within managerial and professional positions. The Professional Accounting Integrated B.S./M.S. program allows you to complete both a bachelor's and master's degrees in as little as five years. The Accounting M.S. and Professional Accounting B.S./M.S. programs satisfy the educational requirements to take the Texas CPA examination.
The Department of Accounting has internship opportunities, networking events, and student organizations to help you meet accounting professionals and launch your career. The following are our student organizations:
- Accounting Association - A student chapter of the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA). It hosts speaker events and sponsors the annual University of Houston-Clear Lake Accounting Recruiters’ Reception.
- Beta Alpha Psi - An international honorary organization for financial information students that includes accounting, finance, and information science. It hosts speaker events and engages in UH-Clear Lake and community service activities. The UHCL chapter has consistently achieved Superior Chapter status over the years.
- ACFE/ISACA – For students interested in forensic accounting or information systems. It hosts events with notable speakers in the fields of forensic accounting, fraud detection, and information systems. The UHCL ACFE chapter was the first student chapter affiliate of the ACFE in the State of Texas. The UHCL ISACA portion of this organization is affiliated with the ISACA professional organization.
Accounting Career Options
Accounting students have a wide range of career choices. UHCL accounting students have successfully secured positions in many of the following areas:
- Public accounting (e.g., auditing, forensic accounting, appraising services, and tax)
- Private accounting (e.g. cost accounting, financial accounting, actuarial accounting, and auditing)
- Financial services (e.g., business valuation and financial analysis)
- Government and non-profit (e.g., local government, fund accounting, and IRS jobs)
In recent years, we have successfully placed students in various international, national, regional, and local public accounting firms such as Ernst and Young, KPMG, BDO, Harper Pearson, Whitley Penn, Ham Langston & Brezina, DRDA, etc. Our graduates have also secured positions at leading companies in the oil and gas industry, healthcare, and the financial services industry.
Number of graduates over the prior three academic years (2017-18 through 2019-20):
Accounting B.S. - 352
Accounting M.S. - 108
Brian Sims is an audit data and analytics director at KPMG. He received a Master of Science in Accounting with an MIS concentration in 2012 and a Bachelor of Science in Accounting in 2010, both from UHCL. Mr. Sims was a corporal in the U.S. Marine Corps before pursuing his education at UHCL. He holds a Certified Information Systems Auditor Certification.
Musammat (Musa) Rab is an Information Technology (IT) auditor at Halliburton. She earned a bachelor’s degree and master’s degree in accounting, both from UHCL, in 2016 and 2018, respectively. She has volunteered as a food preparer at the Ronald McDonald House and in the Annual Heart Walk for the American Heart Association.
Accounting Department Events
We actively engage our students with accounting professionals and provide them with networking opportunities through the annual Accounting Recruiters' Reception in fall and Meet the Firms in spring.
Many students secured valuable internship opportunities through these events and most led to full-time employment. Check the UHCL News and Events and the UHCL Accounting Association webpages for the latest information.
Department of Accounting
Bayou Building, Suite 3237
2700 Bay Area Blvd., Box 42
Houston, TX 77058
Department of Accounting Social Media Links: