How to Apply as a Transfer Student
Transferring to a new school in the middle of your college experience can make anyone nervous – and it starts with the admission process. We want to help you achieve success at University of Houston-Clear Lake, so we've assembled this helpful guide.
Learn How Your Credits Will Transfer
University of Houston-Clear Lake wants you to see how your credits will transfer before applying to the university. Our Transfer Credit Estimator lets you see how your credits may apply toward your desired major.
1) Send in Your Application
Submit your application to UHCL at Apply Texas.
- If you want to enroll in an online or off-campus UHCL program, you should select the program on the application with your preferred campus location (e.g. HSH–Psychology BS- Pearland) or the online option (e.g. BUS-Finance MS-Online).
- It is important to select the correct program so you receive important information about your chosen campus and for accurate enrollment records.
- Please note: selecting off-campus and/or online programs will not prevent you from enrolling for additional courses at the Clear Lake campus.
2) Pay the Application Fee
Pay a non-refundable application fee of $45 through Apply Texas.
3) Send Your Transcripts
Official transcripts are required to complete your admissions application. Submit an official transcript from every college or university you have attended. Transcripts are considered official if received directly from the school or provided in sealed envelopes. Here's how to send your transcripts to UHCL:
1. Send Electronically: Request your transcripts from your college or university through an EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) system, e.g. TRex (for Texas institutions). Preferred method for faster service.
2. Send using an eDoc Service: Can't send it electronically? That's okay! Ask your school administrator to send us a PDF version of your official transcript through Naviance, Speede, or any other secure eDoc Service. If a service asks for a university email address please use: firstname.lastname@example.org. Preferred method.
3. Send by mail: If neither of these options are available, ask your school to mail your official transcript to the address below. Please understand there may be some processing delays for mailed transcripts as the university only permits a small number of employees on campus and postal services may be delayed.Office of Admissions University of Houston-Clear Lake 2700 Bay Area Blvd. Box 13 Houston, Texas 77058
4. Hand Deliver: You can also hand deliver your transcripts to the UHCL Office of Admissions in a sealed envelope to the above address. Please check University hours and status prior to coming to campus.
4) Send Your Test Scores
If you were born or educated in a country where English is not the native language, you must demonstrate English proficiency prior to admission. You can meet this requirement by taking the paper or internet TOEFL exam, Intensive English Language Test (IELTS) exam, Pearson Test of English (PTE), or by successfully completing the ELS Intensive English Language program.
Your minimum scores must be:
- 550 on the paper-based TOEFL exam;
- 79 on the TOEFL (iBT) exam;
- 6.0 on the IELTS exam;
- 53 on the PTE exam; or,
- You can successfully complete level 112 in the ELS Intensive English Language program.
Send Admission Documents To:
University of Houston-Clear Lake
Office of Admissions
2700 Bay Area Boulevard, box 13
Houston, Texas 77058
We will process your application after you have submitted the necessary information. You can then log into UHCL E-Services to review the status of your application.
Just make sure you review the application deadlines before you begin!
- Transfer Deadlines
Spring 2024Priority - December 1
Final - January 8
Returning UHCL Students - January 10
Summer 2024Priority - May 1
Summer I Final - May 22
Summer II Final - June 28
Fall 2024Priority - August 1
Final - August 12
Returning UHCL Students - August 14
Admissions Requirements for Transfer Students
The transfer application process considers factors like the number of college credit hours on your transcript and your grade-point average (GPA).
|Semester Credit Hours||Required Cumulative GPA*|
|0-11||Must meet freshman admissions criteria.|
All grades earned from college-level courses, including repeated courses, are used to compute the transfer grade point average.
Applicable course work from regionally accredited U.S. institutions is accepted.
Other course work may be accepted by review on a case-by-case basis, if equivalent to course work offered at UHCL and applicable to appropriate programs.
Technical courses are not considered when calculating the number of hours completed.
Plus and minus grade designations are not used to determine the cumulative transfer GPA. Remedial or developmental course work is not used in the calculation of the transfer GPA.
Applicants who have earned associate degrees must meet the university's transfer admissions requirements. Applicants who do not meet the transfer admissions requirements may be reconsidered through departmental review or admissions appeals.
Once you're accepted, you will work with our transfer counselors to ensure you get the maximum credit for the classes you have taken already and to plan your coursework at UHCL.
Degree Programs with Exceptions
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN-BSN)
The RN-BSN program is designed specifically for licensed registered nurses seeking a seamless accelerated BSN degree. For more information regarding the application process, please contact the Office of Enrollment Services at UHCL at Pearland at email@example.com or 281-212-1690.
- RN-BSN Requirements and Deadlines
- An Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN or AAS) or Diploma in Nursing
- Cumulative GPA of 2.0 on all college course work attempted
- Complete Anatomy and Physiology I, II and Microbiology with a grade of C or better and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Complete all lower level nursing courses with a grade of C or better and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- A current RN license granted in the United States
- Apply online (Apply as a Transfer Student)
- $45 (Domestic) $75 (International) non-refundable application fee
*Attend a nursing info session or Open House event for a $45 fee waiver
- Submit official transcripts from every college attended.
Application for admission into the RN-BSN Program follows the same deadline as the UHCL general admissions dates.
Please send your documents to one of the following addresses:
UHCL at Pearland
Office of Enrollment Services
1200 Pearland Parkway
Pearland, TX 77581
Office of Admissions
University of Houston-Clear Lake
2700 Bay Area Blvd., Box 13
Houston, TX 77058-1002
Bachelor of Social Work (BSW)
Admission into the BSW program begins with starting and completing the undergraduate admission process. However, admission into the BSW program occurs once students have begun their coursework at UHCL. Interested students are encouraged to reach out to the Program Faculty with questions.
- BSW Admissions Criteria and Policies
- Completion of the Texas Core Requirements.
- Completion of Introduction to Psychology. Students must earn a grade of "C" or higher.
- Completion of Introduction to Sociology. Students must earn a grade of "C" or higher.
- Completion of one of the following natural science courses: Human or General Biology; Anatomy & Physiology; Human or General Biology for non science majors; or The Human Body - complete with any associated lab.
- Completion of SWRK 2361 - Introduction to Social Work with a grade of "C" or higher.
- Completion of SWRK 3304 - Professional Issues and Ethics in Social Work with a grade
of "C": or higher.
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher.
Policy & Procedures
How to Apply
Please review the Application Instructions and Supporting Materials before you begin. A completed application packet must include the following documents and information.
- Application Form and Checklist
- An unofficial copy of all college transcripts
- 3 letters of recommendation from previous instructors or work supervisors (download Letter of Recommendation Form)
- A 4-6 page autobiographical statement. Applicants should be certain that their autobiographical statement is a strong sample of their ability to express themselves in writing. The statement should include a description of the student's educational, work, and/or life goals, their personal and professional objectives, social work or human service experience, contact, exposure to, or experience with diverse groups and any other information the student believes may be important when considering their application for admission to the program.
- Student Code of Conduct Form
Applications accepted at any time.
All materials must be submitted by July 15 for Fall admission and December 15 for Spring admission.