Regardless of where you are in your Education Abroad journey, we know you may have questions. You'll find some answers on this page. If you have additional questions, contact the Education Abroad office.

What are the academic requirements for studying abroad?

You can study abroad once you meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Complete two semesters as a full-time UHCL student. Freshmen may participate in a faculty-led program with the professor’s permission during their second term (pending a first term transcript indicating good standing). 
  • Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 (higher for some programs).
  • Be in good academic and university standing.

What are my program options for studying abroad?  

You may participate in a:

  • Faculty-led program.
  • UHCL exchange program.
  • Partner provider/third party provider program.

Can I use my financial aid for education abroad?

Absolutely! Check out our Financial Aid page for more information. All students are encouraged to apply for the FAFSA; awards may be used toward an Education Abroad program.

Will my credits transfer back to UHCL?

Our application process includes a Course Approval Process. During the application phase, you will list your planned classes (plus some alternates) and take it to the appropriate campus departments or academic advisor so that they can confirm in writing how the classes will transfer back.  

What if I run into a problem while on an Education Abroad trip?

In all cases, students receive on-going support from Education Abroad. Pre-departure orientation sessions are offered and in country. At your in-country orientation, you will learn about what to do in case of an emergency.

Will studying abroad slow down my academic progress and delay my graduation date?

Not necessarily. We encourage students to plan their study abroad program(s) early in their college career to decide when would be the best time for them to go abroad. Students are encouraged to take classes that would  keep them on track for graduation.

  • Education Abroad

    Phone: 281-283-2740
    Fax: 281-226-7038
    Email: educationabroad@uhcl.edu

    Bayou Building B2123
    2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 225
    Houston, TX 77058-1002

    Office hours:
    Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.