Social Work B.S.W.
Empower Vulnerable Populations in the Community
As our society grows in complexity, the role of social workers becomes more critical. University of Houston-Clear Lake’s Bachelor of Social Work from the College of Human Sciences and Humanities equips you to make a difference in the lives of people in your community. As a social worker, you will help find solutions for individuals and families in need; social workers advance change in social policy and support human well-being.
Be Part of an Innovative, Partnership-Oriented Program
During your course of study, you will develop the knowledge and skills for working
with oppressed populations who may have been discriminated against based on race,
color, religion, gender identity/expression, age, sexual orientation, mental, or physical
disability, veteran status or national origin. You will also learn respect for and
appreciation of diversity throughout all components of our applied learning environment.
Internship opportunities are a required part of the degree and are offered through
several regional social service agencies and non-profit organizations. Participation
in faculty research projects are encouraged. You may also consider applying to or
participating in one of several organizations including Phi Alpha Honor Society, the
Social Work Student Organization (SWSO), the National Association of Social Workers
and the Social Work Alumni Organization.
Request InfoHow to ApplyVisit
Admission into the BSW program begins with starting and completing the undergraduate admission process. However, admission into the BSW program occurs once students have begun their coursework at UHCL. Interested students are encouraged to reach out to the Program Faculty with questions.
- BSW Admissions Criteria and Policies
- Completion of the Texas Core Requirements.
- Completion of Introduction to Psychology. Students must earn a grade of "C" or higher.
- Completion of Introduction to Sociology. Students must earn a grade of "C" or higher.
- Completion of one of the following natural science courses: Human or General Biology; Anatomy & Physiology; Human or General Biology for non science majors; or The Human Body - complete with any associated lab.
- Completion of SWRK 2361 - Introduction to Social Work with a grade of "C" or higher.
- Completion of SWRK 3304 - Professional Issues and Ethics in Social Work with a grade
of "C": or higher.
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher.
Policy & Procedures
How to Apply
Please review the Application Instructions and Supporting Materials before you begin. A completed application packet must include the following documents and information.
- Application Form and Checklist
- An unofficial copy of all college transcripts
- 3 letters of recommendation from previous instructors or work supervisors (download Letter of Recommendation Form)
- A 4-6 page autobiographical statement. Applicants should be certain that their autobiographical statement is a strong sample of their ability to express themselves in writing. The statement should include a description of the student's educational, work, and/or life goals, their personal and professional objectives, social work or human service experience, contact, exposure to, or experience with diverse groups and any other information the student believes may be important when considering their application for admission to the program.
- Student Code of Conduct Form
Applications accepted at any time.
All materials must be submitted by July 15 for Fall admission and December 15 for Spring admission.
Understanding the classes you need to take for your degree at University of Houston-Clear
Lake is crucial to planning out your education. The buttons below will allow you to
view the full degree requirements and give you an understanding of your academic experience.
If you are currently attending a community college in Texas, click on the "Transfer
Guide" button to view what classes can be taken at your local community college, and
transferred to UHCL to complete your degree.
Social Work, B.S.W.Transfer Guide (PDF)
Understanding the classes you need to take for your degree at University of Houston-Clear Lake is crucial to planning out your education. The buttons below will allow you to view the full degree requirements and give you an understanding of your academic experience. If you are currently attending a community college in Texas, click on the "Transfer Guide" button to view what classes can be taken at your local community college, and transferred to UHCL to complete your degree.
Accreditations and Distinctions
The Bachelor of Social Work is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
Social Work Competencies and UHCL Students' Performance: