Benefits of Engineering Management at UHCL
The Master of Science degree in Engineering Management at University of Houston-Clear Lake is a unique curriculum that can be customized to align with the industrial needs in the Greater
Houston area, the nation’s fourth largest city. This flexible program provides face-to-face, partially
online and fully online courses, and it's specifically designed to help students with
technical backgrounds develop business and management skills to increase their career
potential. The program includes classes in negotiations, entrepreneurship, decisions
analysis, technology management, and product design. Courses have an 8-week format
with 3 credit hours, and two 8-week sessions are offered per semester (five sessions
per year) to provides more flexibility to your schedule.
Also, you can earn the Project Management and Six Sigma Green Belt certificate as part of your Engineering Management degree program. To earn the certificate, the 4-course set below must be completed at UHCL within a 4-year time limit with grades of B or better.
Courses Required for the Certificate
- EMGT 5230 Negotiation Strategies
- EMGT 5231 Engineering Management Planning
- EMGT 5331 Six Sigma Quality
- EMGT 5430 Professional Project Management
Once you have successfully completed the certificate requirement, fill out the following form and send it to your faculty adviser to request the certificate. Your faculty adviser will sign on the document and sends it to the academic advising office.
Your Pathway Toward a Dynamic Career Begins Here
Graduates of this program qualify for a diverse array of positions requiring both
technical and administrative skills in any industry. As a graduate, you may find out
opportunities in supervising people who design and develop products, services, systems,
and processes as engineering manager, project manager, R&D manager, and process improvement
consultant. You might coordinate development, production, operations, quality, testing,
or maintenance as operation manager, quality manager (engineer), systems engineer,
and system analyst. With advanced technical and administrative knowledge and strong
communication skills, you will be in one of the best positions to become a manager
in your discipline.
Request InformationHow to ApplyVisit
Take your education to new heights in University of Houston-Clear Lake's College of Science and Engineering. Learn the next steps to being admitted now.
- Engineering Management M.S.
The EMGT program offers a holistic review process, in which, applications are reviewed based upon academic degree, work experience, GPA within the last 60 hours of course work, and GRE if submitted.
Standard Graduate Admission Deadline
ApplicationA standard university application is required.
- Science, engineering, or other disciplines related to Engineering Management.
- If applicants have a bachelor's degree from other disciplines, then, at least one year of work experience in a technical field is required.
- Recommended minimum of GPA of 3.0 on the last 60 credits.
- GRE of 290 with verbal 140 and 145 quantitative Or GMAT of 500 with minimum quantitative score of 35.
- GRE/GMAT is waived if one of the following conditions is met.
- Applicants with a GPA 3.0 or above.
- Applicants with at least one year of post-graduate full-time work experience in a technical field.
- Resume summarizing applicants' career objectives and professional experience.
- Two letters of reference from academic advisors or supervisors at work who can verify applicant's employment history.
- These are required documents and must be submitted for your application to be processed.
Get ready to calculate the course load for your education at University of Houston-Clear Lake! Learn more about the courses required to succeed here in the College of Science and Engineering.
Crunch the numbers on the costs for a degree from the UHCL College of Science and Engineering.
Tuition and FeesNet Price CalculatorFee Schedule Calculator
Deadlines for Applying
- Graduate Deadlines
New Degree Seeking - May 1 (Some programs may not apply)
New Degree Seeking - August 1
Priority* - August 13
Final* and Session Start - August 27
*Former/Non-degree seeking/Certificate Graduate Students applicants who apply after the priority deadline can expect to go through late registration. $50 late registration fee will be assessed.
- International Deadlines
Priority – March 1
Final – June 1
Priority – August 1
Final – November 1
Priority – February 1
Final – April 20
Students interested in qualifying for scholarships &/or applying for visas outside the U.S. should apply and submit the application documents/test scores by the priority deadline
International freshmen applicants will not be accepted for Summer semester.
Bayou Building, Room 1406
2700 Bay Area Blvd
Houston, TX 77058
Make the most of a hectic schedule and study from home or the office through UHCL Online, offering the same level of excellence for more than 20 undergraduate, graduate and certificate programs.