Digital Media Studies M.A.
The Possibilities are Endless
Digital media is changing faster than ever; change right along with it equipped with a Master of Arts in Digital Media Studies from University of Houston-Clear Lake. Our cutting-edge interdisciplinary instruction will lead you to explore and integrate emerging media, working with graphic design, photography, art, video, communication, business, computer programming and more. By immersing yourself in practical projects with real clients, you will develop a professional portfolio that demonstrates the versatility
A Flexible Degree Plan for a World of Possibilities
Choose from one of three concentrations as you pursue your degree: production and
design, public relations and social media, or gaming. Discover how to create a degree
to meet your career goals from a curriculum that includes courses in communication,
graphic design, social media, public relations, campaign planning, marketing management, psychology and instructional technology.
We offer the varied core curriculum paired with flexible electives to both tailor
your studies and broaden your horizons. To leap ahead in your career or dive deeper into academic study and creative expression,
you may choose from several capstone options: graduate internship, original graduate
project, graduate thesis, and comprehensive examination.
Request InfoHow to ApplyVisit
- Digital Media Studies M.A.
- Fall: January 15 - August 10
- Spring: August 15 - December 1
Apply online through GoApplyTexas.org for admission to the University of Houston-Clear Lake as a graduate student.
Documents for admission are submitted after completion of the Apply Texas application. All required documents are due by the program application deadline.
- GRE Scores Not Required: The GRE requirement will automatically be removed after successful submission of the admission application.
- Official Transcripts: Students should submit official transcripts from every college or university attended
to the University of Houston-Clear Lake, Office of Admissions or International Admissions.
- Recommended last 60-hour GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Please review New Student Admissions in the Graduate Catalog under Transcripts and Records Information to learn how to submit an official college transcript to UHCL.
Required Supplemental Documents:
To be considered for admission, students are required to submit a production portfolio accompanied by a statement of purpose. The following documents must be sent to the program via email to Dr. Leo Chan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Production Portfolio: All portfolio pieces must be accessible online. We do not accept physical objects such as slides or CDs. If passwords are necessary to access the pieces, it is the student's responsibility to communicate them. The committee will not reach out if pieces are not readily accessible. No more than 20 individual pieces should be submitted. The applicant must make clear his or her involvement in the production of each piece. Examples for successful portfolio pieces are written strategic or creative writing materials, graphic design examples, a 15-minute film documentary, a series of digitally prepared photographs with a theme, a website, an app or a game. The most important function of the portfolio is to demonstrate to the selection committee that the intentions outlined in the statement of purpose may be achieved, based on the student's existing experience and skills.
- Statement of Purpose: describing previous education, work experience, and relevant coursework. Include why you are interested in Digital Media and why you are interested in our program. The statement should be no more than 800 words. Send Submit the statement with a resume and a portfolio link to your UHCL E-Services account (assigned after you have completed the Apply Texas online application) and email directly to the Digital Media Studies Program Director: Dr. Leo Chant at email@example.com.
Admission Review Process
If the last 60-hour GPA is below a 3.00 or an applicant has not completed a prior advanced degree, student admission files will be sent to the program for individual review.
Interested in discovering the sort of classes you’ll need to take in order to earn your degree from the College of Human Science and Humanities at University of Houston-Clear Lake? Find out now.Digital Media Studies, M.A.
Examine how much it could cost to receive a degree from the College of Human Sciences and Humanities at UHCL.
Tuition and FeesNet Price CalculatorFee Schedule Calculator
Hybrid programs combine the flexibility and convenience of online learning with the benefits of in-person instruction.