Incorporate STEM in Classrooms and Careers
The Doctor of Education in Curriculum and Instruction with a Focus on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics from University of Houston-Clear Lake is a program for educational leaders including K-14 educators, business and informal professionals who wish to advance their careers. The doctoral degree will address the needs of professionals in the K-14 education sector who seek to improve their practice, positively impact their institutions, and advance their professional careers. The program will also address the needs of professionals in the informal education sector such as those who work at zoos, museums, educational outreach and community centers, as well as other educational related STEM industries and businesses.
You, STEM and Your Career
With an Ed.D. in Curriculum and Instruction with a focus on STEM, you can be at the
forefront of the current STEM trend in your profession. From the K-14 education sector
to business and industry to higher education, you will explore how to influence leadership
policy, create new curriculum road maps addressing the instructional needs of diverse
communities, and design innovative plans that result in meaningful changes transforming
your workplace into a dynamic, hands-on learning environment.
Request InformationHow to ApplyVisit
- Curriculum and Instruction Ed.D.
Fall Only: July 15
ApplicationBoth university and program applications are required.
- Master's Degree from an Accredited Institution
- A combined score of 297 on the Verbal and Quantitative portions of the Graduate Record Examination. (GRE) and a minimum score of 4.0 on the Analytical Writing portion of the GRE. The GRE must have been taken within the last five years.
- Letter of Intent - The Letter of Intent, not to exceed 1000 words, should explain
why you wish to pursue doctoral-level work in Educational Leadership. Discuss the
following topics: your career goals; your research interests as they relate to education;
how the program will help you meet your career goals and pursue your research interests.
You should also discuss your scholarly and professional accomplishments and your prior
work experiences that relate to your interest in, and aptitude for, the graduate program.
Focus on your future and how the degree will help you accomplish your long-term goals.
Please do not include how you got into the field of education.
Please structure your letter as follows:
Paragraph I – Why do you wish to pursue a doctoral-level degree?
Paragraph 2 – What are your career goals and how will this degree help you accomplish your long-term goals?
Paragraph 3 – What are your research interests as they relate to education?
Paragraph 4 – What are your scholarly and professional accomplishments as they relate to education?
Paragraph 5 – How does your prior work experience relate to your interest in the doctoral program?
- Three reference forms- At least one reference must be from a supervisor or other administrator familiar with the applicant's work. If possible, at least one of the Reference Forms should be from a professor involved in the applicant's master's program.
- A statement made by the applicant's employer indicating support of the applicant's pursuit of the EdD and willingness to allow EdD fieldwork within the organization should the applicant be admitted to the program. This support must include a degree of work schedule flexibility in order to attend classes and conduct research.
Educate yourself on the necessary course work at University of Houston-Clear Lake. We want you to succeed in the College of Education, so review the degree requirements for your preferred major.
Accreditations and Distinctions
UHCL’s College of Education graduate and undergraduate programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation for both initial teacher preparation and advanced educator preparation. We’re one of only 14 educator preparation programs in Texas to hold this accreditation. The College of Education is also accredited by the State Board for Educator Certification/Texas Education Agency and holds accreditations from a number of organizations for individual specializations and certification programs.
We’ve earned national recognition for accomplishment and innovation, including the Christa McAuliffe Award for Excellence in Teacher Education.