Congratulations to Mr. Mark Denney, VP for Administration an Finance, and his "Let's Get Fiscal" team as the overall winners of the 2022 Walk With a VP challenge:
- Originality Award-Best name
- Hawk Spirit Award-Spirit & Decor
- Hawk Flock Award-Most participants
Walking Hawks is the first university-wide health and wellness initiative formulated in the midst of COVID-19, when many people were at home with little to no physical activity. The concept for Walking Hawks was developed by the Office of the President in April 2021 to promote health and wellness among the UHCL community. The key to the Walking Hawks phenomenon is that you can walk at any time, from anywhere.
Since its inception, Walking Hawks has hosted and continues to host various events
throughout the year. The group’s signature weekly event shifted to Wednesdays in June
2022 and is now called Walk It Out Wednesdays (WIOW).
Walkers meet every Wednesday at 5 p.m. at the west entrance of the Bayou Building (Spiritus Mundi sculpture side). Participants complete an outdoor walk (weather-permitting) of 1-2 miles at a leisurely pace around a pre-determined route. This is the perfect opportunity to unwind, enjoy some fresh air, and make a friend.
Past and Annual Events
- Women’s History Month Walk and Paint With a Twist: April 2022
- Holiday Charity Drive: December 2021
- Bring a Buddy to Walk-It-Out Thursday: December 2021
- Bay Area Heart Walk: November 2021
- Pride Parade: October 2021
- Women’s Empowerment/Zumba: September 2021
- Annual Walk With a VP Challenge: Every July
The following is a list of Walking Hawks board members and their respective roles, in addition to a list of the committees and the duties of each.
Berenice Webster, Chairperson
- Sets goals with the board and ensures they are met
- Creates a purposeful agenda in collaboration with the vice chair and secretary
Mounika Manchala, Vice Chairperson
- Assists the board chair in the execution of their duties
- Serves on committees as needed, to learn the operations of the initiative
Anusha Bele, Board Secretary
- Schedules and notifies board members of upcoming meetings and events
- Prepares agendas, notes, and board documents as needed
Andrea Sears, Treasurer
- Assists the chairperson with the budget and presents to the board for approval
Notifies campus about events and activities via email and social media
Works with committee members to ensure they meet deadlines and finalize details for each event
Maintains calendar and seeks opportunities to collaborate with other areas in the community
Works with Office of the President staff to secure sponsorship for Walking Hawks initiatives
Creates schedule and planning of Walk It Out Wednesday group members
Interested in being part of Walking Hawks? Here’s how you can get involved:
- Fill Out an Interest Form: Let us know your walking preferences, sign up to receive emails, and receive a free Walking Hawks T-shirt.
- Participate in WIOW: Meet at the west entrance of the Bayou Building (Spiritus Mundi sculpture side) at 5 p.m. on Wednesday.
- Join the Board or a Committee: We are now seeking new committee members and board members. Apply online to provide your availability. Find additional details in the next section.
Any person needing an accommodation for a disability in order to participate should contact Walking Hawks at email@example.com prior to the event to arrange for the accommodation.
Let's Get Up, Get Out, and Get Moving!