August 27, 2018
Welcome back to UHCL! I hope the summer gave you an opportunity to relax, spend time with friends and family, and re-energize as we enter another exciting semester. We have officially opened the new Recreation and Wellness Center as well as the STEM and Classroom Building. With these new facilities, fall 2018 has already begun on a much higher note than last year’s fall semester that, as you remember, began with Hurricane Harvey and devastation for our campus community. We supported one another and #UHCLStrong became more than just a hashtag; it was our mantra as we worked together to come back stronger than we were before the storm.
With many wonderful accolades, we continue our movement upward in the community, state and world where we celebrate and embody the new tagline: Houston, We are the Solution.
- Students can now select the Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering. This important
degree will propel future engineers into the aerospace and chemical industries.
- UHCL continues its upward movement in rankings, tying for the 63rd position for Best
Regional Universities West in the U.S. News & World Report 2018.
- We are strengthening our community partnerships. Last year, we signed an agreement
with Alvin Community College that offers a seamless transition for their students
to complete their degrees at UHCL Pearland Campus. A recent agreement with HOYER,
the international logistics company, provides student internship opportunities for
those in our College of Science and Engineering.
- Our UHCL Hawk pride increases every year. I look forward to the mid-week display of
our colors across campus on Blue and Green Wednesdays. As we welcome students to campus
this week, please take the extra step to help them find classrooms and support areas.
- UHCL Here, We Go remains on a trajectory for success. I encourage you to help accelerate the university’s transformation to becoming an even better institution than we have been for the past 45 years. The goal is to raise $20 million by 2020 and I am confident we can surpass that.
In closing, I want to remind you of the upcoming events surrounding my investiture, which will be held in the Bayou Theater, Sept. 20, at 2 p.m. Leading into this traditional ceremony, all are invited to participate in several events that include a visit to our past, a look at our present and a glimpse into our future. I look forward to seeing you on campus in the coming weeks.
Ira K. Blake, Ph.D.