Assistant Professor of School Library and Information Science,
College of Education
Areas of Expertise
- School librarian leadership
- School library administration
- Library advocacy
- Early literacy
- Equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Diversity in literature
- Instructional technology applications and integration
- Andrews, S., Newsum, J. M., Crawford, C. M., & Moffett, N. L. (2021). Sisyphus leans into the professoriate: Faculty discuss careers and the academic landscape. In N. L. Moffett (Ed.), Navigating post-doctoral career placement, research, and professionalism (pp. 185-226). IGI Global. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-7998-5065-6.ch009
- Crawford, C. M., Newsum, J. M., White, S. A., & Wallace, J. Y. (2020). Supporting Community Engagement Through Real-World Instructional Learning. In Khosrow-Pour D.B.A., M. (Ed.), Handbook of Research on Modern Educational Technologies, Applications, and Management (pp. 415-431). IGI Global. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-7998-3476-2.ch025.
- Crawford, C. M., Newsum, J. M., White, S. A., & Wallace, J. Y. (2020). Creativity and Impactful Learning Through Implicit Cognitive Vulnerability. In Khosrow-Pour D.B.A., M. (Ed.), Handbook of Research on Modern Educational Technologies, Applications, and Management (pp. 744-761). IGI Global. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-7998-3476-2.ch046
- Newsum, J. M. (2020). In Cheryl Craig, Laura Turchi, and Denise McDonald (Ed.), Leading from the shadows: School librarian leadership (chapter in book titled: Cross-disciplinary, cross-institutional collaboration in teacher education: Cases of learning while leading) (pp. 221-235). New York, NY: Palgrave McMilan.
- McDonald, D. M., Auzenne-Curl, C., Divoll, K., Kiekel, J., Newsum, J., & Williams-Duncan, O. (2020). Involvement in the Faculty Academy research community yields unexpected skills: Stories of leading and learning. In C. Craig, L. Turchi, & D. M. McDonald (Eds.), Cross-disciplinary, cross-institutional collaboration in teacher education: Cases of learning while leading (pp. 45-82). New York, NY: Palgrave McMillan.
- Crawford, C. M., Newsum, J. M., & Hendrix, E. Y. (2020). In N. Cossa, A. Babino, J. J. Araujo, & R. D. Johnson (Ed.), TexasSTREAMS: Bridging STEM into STEAM, then STREAM into STREAMS as an inclusive realization of reading engagement (vol. 42, pp. 157-176). Richmond, Kentucky: Association of Literacy Educators and Researchers. https://www.aleronline.org/general/custom.asp?page=yearbook or https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.aleronline.org/resource/resmgr/yearbooks/9781883604097.pdf
- Newsum, J. M., & Delker, B. (2020). Anti-Black racism in schools: A racial trauma-informed framework for school librarians. Young Adult Library Services Association, 19(1), 12-16. http://yalsjournal.ala.org/publication/?i=699344
- Newsum, J. (2016). Tech and the race to read: The case for early literacy. School Library Journal. Retrieved from http://www.slj.com/2016/04/literacy/tech-and-the-race-to-read-the-case-for-early-literacy/.
- Newsum, J. (2016). School collection development and resource management in digitally rich environments: A literature review. School Libraries Worldwide, 22(1), 97-109.
- Mardis, M., Elbasri, T., Norton, S., & Newsum, J. (2012). The digital lives of U.S. teachers: A research synthesis and trends to watch. School Libraries Worldwide, 18(2), 70-86.
- Anti-racism/anti-blackness in school libraries
- Trauma informed educational practices
- School librarian diversity influence
- Inclusive school library collection development