Exploring Majors Office
The Exploring Majors Office (EMO) is here to support your journey. Are you in the exploring phase? No worries! Quick fact, 75% of university students
change their major at least once in their academic careers.
Choosing a major is a decision-making process, and University of Houston-Clear Lake is here to help. Our office and the various UH-Clear Lake departments on campus such as Career Services, Strategic Partnerships, and Advising, along with faculty, are great resources.
Our Exploring Majors partners will guide you through the three-step process to develop an action plan to help you find a bachelor’s degree that best meets your academic and career goals.
To start exploring, complete the EMO Interest Form for a team member to contact you. You can also browse through the other Exploring Majors Office webpages for additional information.
Exploring Majors Office
Student Service Center Building Rm. 3312
2700 Bay Area Blvd.
Houston, Texas 77058-1002
Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
By Appointment Only
Begin the Exploration Process
What Type of Explorer Are You?
- Undecided: I don't know what I like or want to do.
- Deciding: I know what I like, but I don't know what to do with what I like.
- Reconsidering: I thought I liked this, but now I am not sure.
Discover Self Knowledge
To begin the exploration process, you will want to consider the whole you.
- Values (Making a difference, stability, creativity, flexibility, leading, etc.)
- Interests (What are you into?)
- Personality Type (Introvert or extrovert? Take action or take direction? Freeform or structure?)
- Skills (What skills come naturally? Which skills require more effort?)
Career Services can evaluate your interests and strengths, and perform a personality assessment that can help you with your career decision-making. The tools used by Career Services are listed below:
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI): MBTI helps students choose careers that are congruent with their natural preferences and personality. MBTI helps you understand yourself and how you interact within the workplace.
- Strong Interest Inventory (Strong): The theory behind Strong is that people in different occupations have characteristic sets of interests. Strong matches you, based on your likes and dislikes, with people who share your interests to determine if you might enjoy the same kinds of careers.
- StrengthsQuest: The StrengthsQuest helps you gain insight into your areas of greatest potential.
The following is a list of additional resources that can help you choose the major that's right for you:
- Majors and Minors at UHCL – This is your one-stop shop for exploring and comparing UHCL’s majors.
- What Can I Do with a Major in… - A University of North Texas resource, this video will help you connect your major to possible careers. Learn about typical career areas and types of employers that hire people within each major, as well as strategies to make you a more marketable candidate.
- What Can I Do With This Major? – A University of Tennessee resource, this site features 100 major profiles with information on common career paths, types of employers that hire in the field, and strategies to maximize opportunities.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - The Occupational Outlook Handbook is published by the United State Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statics. The resource contains information about the nature of work, working conditions, training and education earnings, and job outlook for various types of occupations in the United States.
- Job/Career Research Guide – UHCL Alfred R. Neumann Library houses electronic jobs and career resources.
- You can also search information on companies of interest tutorials and sample searches for finding company information.
Prospective Students Interest Form: If you are interested in participating in the UHCL exploring majors program, complete the EMO Interest Form.
Current UHCL Students
UHCL students interested in participating in the UHCL exploring majors program, please call us at 281-283-2082 to schedule an appointment.
UHCL Exploring Majors Students: If you need to speak with your Exploring Majors advisor, please schedule an appointment using the UHCL Navigate App or Navigate on the Web. Sign in using your UHCL username and password.
UHCL has been opening doors for accessible education since 1974. As part of the University of Houston System (UHS), UHCL offers 90+ undergraduate and graduate programs across four colleges – College of Business, College of Education, College of Human Sciences and Humanities, and College of Science and Engineering.
Learn more about UHCL.
Become a Hawk. Visit UHCL Admissions.
Meet the Team
Dr. Mary Ramos, Ed.D., Director, Exploring Majors Office
Kristina N. Johnson, Major Specialist
Jossette Clauson, Peer Major Specialist