Scholarships and Grants
There are various ways to fund an education abroad program, including scholarships and grants. The following are lists of internal and external scholarships as well as education abroad grants that you may be eligible for:
UHCL Internal Scholarships
International Education Fee Award Scholarship
The merit-based financial support offered through the International Education Fee Award Scholarship is available for graduate and undergraduate students wishing to internationalize their education experience at UHCL. The award is designed to be used by students wishing to study abroad, for international exchange students or as an emergency fund for students participating in study abroad or international exchange.
Selection for the award primarily focuses on the merit of the international experience and the quality of the student's application.
Amy Linn O'Sullivan Memorial Student Experience Scholarship
This award is for undergraduate or graduate/professional UHCL students wishing to participate in an education abroad program recognized by the Office of the Provost and Office of International Admissions and Programs. Selection for the award is based on merit, quality of application and length and location of the program, with special preference to the Dolphin Study in the Amazon program. Granting of the award is also contingent upon the completion of a one-hour presentation based on the student’s participation in the approved education abroad program.
Amy Linn O'Sullivan epitomized a life fully lived with courage and delight, no matter the effort or obstacle. A graduate of UHCL with a Bachelor of Science in Behavioral Science in 2002 and a Mater of Arts in Multicultural Studies in 2004, unfortunately, her life ended too soon. In her 31 years, she packed more passion, intelligence, curiosity, activism and adventure into her life than most, and all along the way, she learned and shared with others. To honor her work, her life and her causes, her family established the Amy O’Sullivan Memorial Student Experience Fund.
These scholarships finance young Americans of high ability to study for a degree in the United Kingdom. Up to forty scholars are selected each year to study at graduate level at an UK institution in any field of study. This is an annual scholarship with a deadline of October 1st. Complete scholarship info is at
Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship
The Gilman Scholarship Program offers awards for undergraduate study abroad and was established by the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000. This scholarship provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study abroad programs worldwide. There are separate deadline for Fall, Spring and Summer semesters.
Additional Scholarship Resources
- AIFS Scholarships and Grants -Scholarships and grants that AIFS provides. Applicable to all AIFS study abroad programs.
- Benjamin A. Gilman - Open to Pell Grant eligible students.
- Fund for Education Abroad - The mission of the Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) is to provide scholarships and ongoing support to students who are underrepresented among the U.S. study abroad population.
- Studyabroad.com Scholarships - List various scholarships available from merit-based to destination specific.
- IIE Organization - IIE Generation Study Abroad Travel Grants were made available for U.S. students from a broad range of backgrounds to make it possible for them to participate in an academic internship or service-learning experiences abroad.
- Go Overseas - Blog on 42 Study Abroad Scholarships & Grants to Apply for in 2022
- USA Study Abroad – Scholarship and program information for U.S. Undergraduate and Graduate Students
- Zonta International - Women in Business Scholarship - Women of any age, pursuing a business program with a major or field of specialization in accounting, economics, finance, business management, marketing, operations management, human resources management, international business, or entrepreneurship at an accredited university/college/institute, who demonstrate outstanding potential in the field and are living or studying in a Zonta district/region, are eligible. Online students are also eligible to apply if enrolled at an accredited university/college/institute.
- Hi USA- Explore the World Travel Scholarships. Recipients receive $2,000 to help finance their international trip that includes an educational or service component.