Education Abroad in 10 Steps
Education Abroad and Scholar Services welcomes and encourages veterans to study abroad! Did you know that you may be eligible to use your GI Bill® benefits to help fund a spring break, summer, winter break, semester or full-year abroad? If you are interested in studying abroad, begin your plans today!
- Attend an Education Abroad 101 Information Session
- Visit the UHCL Capt. Wendell M. Wilson Office of Veteran Services
- Speak to Certification Specialist to determine whether or not you are eligible to receive funding for study abroad.
- Research various education abroad program options and determine the best program for you.
- Refer to the list of VA-approved international colleges and universities to ensure that the program you have chosen will work with your benefits.
- Meet with your Education Abroad Advisor to apply to your program(s) of choice.
- Follow up with UHCL Capt. Wendell M. Wilson Office of Veteran Services to ensure that your benefits will work with the program you have chosen. Please note that the VA will only pay towards the maximum in-state cost of attendance.
- Apply to your chosen education abroad program. Once you have applied to your education abroad program, the Education Abroad Office will create a cost breakdown and submit it to the UHCL Capt. Wendell M. Wilson Office of Veteran Services and Financial Aid (if applicable).
- Continue to check in with the Education Abroad Office and the UHCL Capt. Wendell M. Wilson Office of Veteran Services to ensure that the necessary information is being transmitted between offices.
- UHCL Online students may also take advantage of GI Bill® benefits! If you are an online student, you can use your benefits to study abroad as long as the classes you are taking are applicable to your degree program as either upper-division credit or program-specific courses and meets VA regulations for VA education benefits.
For more information, please contact the Office of Veteran Services at email@example.com, 281-283-3071 or visit SSCB 3.201.