Empower Diverse Individuals and Families to Accomplish Health, Education and Career Goals
Clinical Mental Health Counseling M.S. from University of Houston-Clear Lake is designed for students interested in becoming professional counselors, and provides students with the knowledge and skills necessary for counseling clients experiencing a variety of psychological, social, behavioral and emotional issues. This degree focuses on a variety of topics, including: counseling orientation and ethics, counseling theories, group counseling theories and practice, tests and appraisal, career development and counseling, research methods, diagnostics, assessment, treatment, psychotherapy and counseling.
Get on Track to Pursue Licensure
This program prepares you to meet the academic requirements for Clinical Mental Health Counseling M.S. in preparation for licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor in the state of Texas.Students who wish to pursue LPC licensure must complete the master’s degree plan with a minimum of 60 credit hours. To be eligible to receive the LPC, graduates must also document 3000 clock hours of post-master’s supervised counseling experience and pass the state licensure examination. For State LPC requirements, please visit www.dshs.texas.gov/counselor
Request InformationHow to ApplyVisit
UHCL’s College of Education would love to have you join us. Find out today what it takes to apply.
- Counseling M.S. and Clinical Mental Health Counseling M.S.
Fall: March 1
Spring: September 1
- The graduate test score is waived for applicants who have earned a 3.000 GPA in the last 60 hours of coursework; or
- Applicants who have earned less than 3.000 in the last 60 hours of coursework, are
required to submit one of the following:
- A combined GRE score of 294 and a writing score of 3.5
- An MAT score of 390 minimum
- Applicants holding a Master's degree from an accredited institution are not required to submit GRE or MAT scores.
- Applicants must submit three (3) Professional Recommendation Forms, which are included in the Program Application.
- Once a completed application is received by the Counseling program, it will be forwarded to the Admissions Committee for review. A committee member will contact the applicant for an on-campus interview, after which, a final admissions decision will be made.
School Counselor program applicants only must also submit the following:
- Signed FERPA Form
- Certificate of completion of online TEA Ethics Training
- Texas Teacher Service Record from School District HR office
- Valid Standard Texas Teacher Certificate
- Background Check Verification Form
- Certificates of completion from TEA required school district training on Mental Health, Substance Abuse and Youth Suicide Prevention
- TEA Application Fee Receipt
This degree has a specific set of courses you’ll need to complete before you can graduate from University of Houston-Clear Lake. Learn more about the classes that will help you complete the requirements of this degree.
Investigate the direction of your future with this look into the prospective costs of a degree from UHCL.
Tuition and FeesNet Price CalculatorFee Schedule Calculator
Bayou Building, Room 1406
2700 Bay Area Blvd
Houston, TX 77058
Make the most of a hectic schedule and study from home or the office through UHCL Online, offering the same level of excellence for more than 20 undergraduate, graduate and certificate programs.
UH-Clear Lake at Pearland
1200 Pearland Pkwy
Pearland, Texas 77581
Since 2010, University of Houston-Clear Lake at Pearland has proudly served as an upper-level institution serving juniors, seniors, and graduate students in fields like business and behavioral science.
Accreditations and Distinctions
UHCL’s College of Education graduate and undergraduate programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation for both initial teacher preparation and advanced educator preparation. We’re one of only 14 educator preparation programs in Texas to hold this accreditation. The College of Education is also accredited by the State Board for Educator Certification/Texas Education Agency and holds accreditations from a number of organizations for individual specializations and certification programs.
We’ve earned national recognition for accomplishment and innovation, including the Christa McAuliffe Award for Excellence in Teacher Education.