A Courageous Story of Nurses and Caregivers
On May 7, 2021, Strategic Partnerships hosted a special screening of the award-winning documentary 5B, the inspirational story of the courageous nurses and caregivers who took extraordinary steps to provide unprecedented care for patients of the first AIDS ward in the United States at San Francisco General Hospital.
5B is told through first-person testimony of the nurses and caregivers who built Ward 5B in 1983, their patients, loved ones, and staff who volunteered to create care practices based in humanity and holistic well-being during a time of great uncertainty.
Following the 90-minute film screening, Robert Manning, retired Clinic Nurse Case Manager and Treasurer for the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care (ANAC) – Gulf Coast moderated an informative and inspiring panel discussion comprised of a diverse selection of healthcare and academic experts.
- Dr. Joseph Gathe, MD, Infectious Disease Specialist and Internist
- Dr. Roberta Leal, Assistant Professor of Social Work, University of Houston-Clear Lake
- Alison Moed, MSN, RN, Clinician and the first Nurse Manager of the 5B unit
- Dr. Zishan A Samiuddin, MD, Psychiatry Specialist, Legacy Community Health
- Dr. Dawit Woldu, Associate Professor of Anthropology, University of Houston-Clear Lake
Association of Nurses in AIDS Care (ANAC)
Johnson & Johnson
UHCL Nursing Program
UHCL Office of Strategic Partnerships
UHCL RN-BSN Program
Are you a licensed registered nurse looking to get your bachelor's degree?
UHCL's RN-BSN program offers HyFlex learning options to complete your degree work around your schedule.