University of Houston-Clear Lake Search   Home  
University of Houston-Clear Lake  
     About UHCL      
     Site Map      



plane flying into the sunset**For after hours emergency travel agency assistance, please call 1-800-795-9005.**

The UHCL Travel Group has been in operation since October 1997 and was established to provide UHCL employees with efficient and improved travel services. We take care of most of your business travel needs, from reservations to reimbursement. The following information is provided as a resource to UHCL business travelers. This site contains documents on travel policies, latest travel news, contracted travel vendors, forms, and links to outside sources of travel information.


Important to Know Before You Travel ***see UHCL Travel Guidelines***

When traveling on University business, you will most likely spend money on airfare, hotels, meals, and other incidental items, such as business phone calls, and cab fares. Subject to your department's approval, the University will reimburse you for some of these expenses. However, for others it will not. Examples of some of the non-reimbursable items would include:

  • Meals for non-overnight travel 
  • Any tips exceeding 20%; tips are limited to 20% 
  • Pay TV and video rentals 
  • Personal entertainment such as attending a professional sports event 
  • Personal phone calls 
  • Health club fees 
  • Domestic car rental collision and damage waiver (CDW) insurance 
  • Personal injury (PI) insurance coverage.

The Traveler should assume that any item not specifically addressed in the Texas Travel Allowance Guide is not allowed as a University travel expense. You should be familiar enough with the Travel Policy to be aware of what can and what cannot be reimbursed.

Note: Individual units (e.g. schools, departments, institutes, divisions) have budgetary oversight for travel expenditures and therefore may establish travel procedures which reduce allowable expenses to a level below that available through the University policy.  Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) may also require a greater degree of documentation for expenses than the University policy.  Therefore prior to taking a trip, travelers should consult with the Travel Office for documentation requirements.

*Please note: Expense reports must be submitted within 60 days of trip completion.  The IRS requires that travel reimbursements must be submitted within sixty days of completion of the travel or it becomes taxable income to the employee.  The taxable amount will be forwarded to Human Resources to be included on the traveler's W-2.  This does not apply to blanket mileage.

If 50% or more trip days are primarily personal vs. business, traveler will not be reimbursed for domestic travel to/from destination.


Mileage Reimbursement Rates

54 cents January 1, 2016- December 31, 2016
53.5 cents beginning January 1, 2017 

Local Blanket Mileage Coverage Area

Effective November 1, 2013 all Travel related documents will be accepted via campus mail or scanned through email to the Travel office email account.

This includes:

Travel Authorization/Foreign Travel Authorization and all supporting documentation Expense Report and receipts (employees or department should retain the originals of any scanned/emailed receipts until final, correct payment is received (approx. 60 days) and then shred. When emailing expense reports, send with subject title T# and name of traveler - Expense Report and Travel Overage Approval. The Travel Office will furnish the Hotel Credit Card Agreement form when hotel card is picked up. Please note: Hotel cards must still be picked up at the Travel Office at NOA II (North Office Annex II).



Travel Documents

Telephone: (281) 283-2270

Fax: (281) 283-2156

Location: North Office Annex (NOA II)

Internal Mail: Box 105


Fall / Spring Office Hours: 8 AM - 5 PM, Monday through Friday

Summer Office Hours: 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Thursday; 8:00 AM to noon on Friday

Amanda Solis Travel Assistant         (281) 283-2271

Joyce Vetrano Travel Assistant      (281) 283-2272

Rita Sills Travel Assistant               (281) 283-2274



Travel Forms

Direct Deposit Authorization Form (Non-Employees only) 

Export Controls and Travel Embargo Form

Foreign Travel Authorization 

Individual Vendor Coversheet

Travel Authorization Form - Through December 31, 2016

Travel Authorization Form - Beginning January 1, 2017 


Travel Expense Report - Travel beginning January 1, 2017 

Travel Expense Report - Travel from September 1, 2016 to December 31, 2016 

Travel Expense Report - Travel from January 1, 2016 to August 31, 2016

Example Expense Log

Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Form

Travel Credit Card Agreement Form

Travel Credit Card Procedures

Travel Exemption Certification Form



Resources & Tips

Airline Reservation

Car Rental

Currency Converter

Domestic Per Diem Rates

Fly America Act Waiver Checklist

Foreign Per Diem

Houston Airport System

How to set up Direct Deposit in P.A.S.S.

International Insurance Card (ISIC/ITIC)

Local Mileage Area Map

Google Maps

Meals and Lodging Break Down


Mileage Comparison Calculator

Passport Information

State Contract Hotel Listing

Study Abroad

Travel Training Workshop

UHCL Travel Guidelines

US Dept of State Travel Page

Weather Forecast



Last updated: 01/10/2017 UTC
UHCL footer
Accessibility | Clery Act | Compact with Texans | Emergency Information | Maps & Directions | State Website Linking and Privacy Policy
Fraud Reporting | Title IX (Sexual Misconduct) | UH System | Public Information |MySafeCampus