Co-op for Faculty

What is the Co-op program?

Co-op (co-operative education) is a program that combines classroom knowledge and work experience. Students work in a paid job related to their current field of study. The co-op program is conducted in the School of Business and the School of Science and Computer Engineering.

Student Requirements

Academic Approval

  1. Read details about The Co-op Program.
    • All necessary forms including the Co-op Application Stage 1 and 2 and Co-op Agreement are available online.
  2. Complete Forms
    • Co-op Application Stage 1
    • Co-op Agreement
    • Candidate Plan of Study to the Co-op Coordinator
      Note: The Co-op course hours must fit within the student’s course requirements listed on the Candidate Plan of Study (CPS).
  3. Satisfy Academic Requirements
    • Undergraduate
      • 12 completed UHCL hours (not including transfer credits)
      • GPA of 2.5 or above
      • All freshman and sophomore level classes completed.
    • Graduate
      • 9 completed UHCL hours (not including transfer credits)
      • GPA of 3.0 or above
      • All foundation courses completed.

Employment Requirements

Employers are not required to have a formal co-op program to employ co-op students. While employers may have additional requirements, the following are required by UHCL:

  • Must be a paid position
  • Job duties directly relate to the student’s current field of study at UHCL
  • Must be a US-based employer
  • Minimum 3-month commitment
  • Minimum 16 hours of work per week

Students may gain a co-op position through the employment database managed by Career Services, Jobs4Hawks, or their own referral source.

F-1 Employment Regulations

F-1 students are permitted to work off campus under any of the following conditions:

  1. Obtaining a hardship work permit from Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.
  2. Acceptance in Curricular Practical Training through Career Services which is the co-op Program at UHCL.
  3. Acceptance in Curricular Practical Training with the School of Human Science and Humanities in a degree required or optional internship.
  4. Applying for Optional Practical Training before graduation.

An F-1 student must have one academic school year of consecutive full-time enrollment before applying to the Co-op program.

In order to maintain legal status while working, there are specific course guidelines that must be followed. Please have students consult with a international student advisor or the Career Services Co-op Coordinator for details.


  • Career Services

    Phone: 281-283-2590
    Fax: 281-283-2602

    SSCB 3109
    2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 332
    Houston, TX 77058-1002

    Current office hours:
    Mon. - Fri., 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

    Please call ahead during holidays and semester breaks.