Foster Healthy Relationships
Prepare for a creative, caring career when you earn a Master of Arts in Family Therapy at University of Houston-Clear Lake. You will focus on helping individuals, couples and families connect and thrive. A long-standing reputation for excellent clinical training (UHCL’s program has been accredited since 1982) combined with diverse, exciting internship opportunities make us an excellent choice to intensify your studies.
Explore a Broad Professional Field
Our graduates excel as clinicians, researchers and academics with a solid foundation
in both coursework and practical experience. The Master of Arts in Family Therapy prepares
students for licensure as a Family Therapist in Texas and fulfills coursework requirements
to take the Licensed Professional Counselor Exam in Texas. Family therapists serve
in all sorts of settings, from private practices and community mental health agencies
to residential treatment centers and programs for youth, offering a broad, exciting
choice in careers.
Request InformationHow to ApplyVisit
So, have we convinced you that University of Houston-Clear Lake's College of Human Science and Humanities is the next step in your pursuit of academic success? Learn what it takes to be admitted to help you reach your educational goals.
- Family Therapy M.A.
December 10 – January 25 for fall admission
- Complete the ApplyTexas online university application.
- Complete the Additional Supporting Documents for the program (below).
- Submit GRE scores (not more than 5 years old) through the standard reporting procedures.
- The Family Therapy M.A. program is offering a GRE waiver for those who apply for the Fall 2021 semester only. The GRE waiver will be automatically applied after successful submission of the admission application.
- Submit official transcripts from all institutions attended to the UHCL Office of Admissions.
The following two documents must be uploaded to your UHCL E-Services account (assigned after you have completed the ApplyTexas online application):
- Curriculum Vitae: An expanded résumé describing previous education; all work experience; relevant course work and relevant volunteer activities; any honors, presentations, papers, avocations or other relevant life experiences
- Statement of purpose and goals, not to exceed 1,000 words, describing your reasons for wanting this degree and how it fits into career goals.
Three letters of recommendation and recommendation forms (available here) should be submitted directly by the recommenders to firstname.lastname@example.org. Recommendations from academic faculty and/or work supervisors who know the applicant well are especially solicited.
The FT program has an additional fee of $35 that should be sent directly to UHCL. Please indicate that the application fee is for your application to the FT program. Check or money orders may be sent to:
Family Therapy Program Admissions
University of Houston-Clear Lake
2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 73
Houston, TX 77058
Interested in discovering the sort of classes you’ll need to take in order to earn your degree from the College of Human Science and Humanities at University of Houston-Clear Lake? Find out now.
Examine how much it could cost to receive a degree from the College of Human Sciences and Humanities at UHCL.
Tuition and FeesNet Price CalculatorFee Schedule Calculator
Accreditations and Distinctions
The Family Therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education.