Mandatory Advising Program (MAP) Policy
In an effort to promote and foster an environment of academic success, UHCL has implemented a Mandatory Advising Program (MAP).
This policy also applies to students who entered with advanced standing (college credit earned prior to high school graduation).
All admitted students will be sent a College Student Inventory (CSI) survey that should be completed 48 hours prior to attending Student Orientation & Registration (SOAR) session.
Timeframe for scheduling Spring 2018 MAP Advising Appointments.
- First MAP - Jan. 18 - Feb. 8
- Second MAP - Feb. 19 - Mar. 9
- Third MAP - Mar. 19 - Apr. 6
Call us at 281-283-3087 to schedule your visit.
- Students will have an advising hold preventing class registration after admission to UHCL.
- Students are assigned a University Academic Advising Center (UAAC) adviser.
- Freshmen, including those admitted with advanced standing, are required to meet with their adviser during SOAR (Student Orientation and Registration).
- Sophomores must meet with an adviser prior to registering for classes and prior to attending New Student Orientation (NSO).
- Students are also required to meet with their adviser at least three times per semester until they have reached junior-level standing.
- Advising holds will continue to prevent students from registering for the next semester until course selections are discussed with their adviser.
- Once junior standing is reached, advising requirements are transitioned to the student’s academic school for their major.
What to expect?
Your assigned university academic adviser can provide you with valuable guidance during your college years. They will work collaboratively with you to develop an academic plan that promotes your timely transition to your academic school. Your adviser can provide you with suggestions for courses based on your UHCL degree plan, and help you create a realistic course load each semester. Your adviser can also assist you with registration issues, help you drop a course, and refer you to campus resources.
How to Get Your Advising Hold/Service Indicator Adjusted to Register for Next Semester?
- Attend your MAP Advising sessions during the semester.
- Discuss course selection with adviser.
- Load courses in MyPlanner and email adviser when the courses are in your MyPlanner.
- Adviser will review your MyPlanner and adjust hold after you have completed the above steps.
You may contact us at 281-283-3087 or email your assigned adviser to schedule your appointment.
For best course selection, it is important to register for your next semester early!
How to Prepare for your Advising Appointment
Academic advising is a learning experience, process and partnership between the student and their adviser. As an active participant, you (the student) will need to:
- Generate and bring an Academic Advisement Report (AAR).
- Consider your schedule (personal, leisure, work, and school).
- Compile a list of your questions.
- Ensure that any dual credit, CLEP, AP or previous earned credit has been officially sent to UHCL.