Skip Top Navigation

HB 269 - Credit for Military Services

HB 269 makes military veterans who enroll in Texas universities eligible to receive undergraduate college credit for the time they spent in the services if certain requirements are met. Eligible veterans can receive college credit for:

  • All required physical education courses needed for their degrees
  • Up to an additional 12 semester credit hours of general elective course work

The credit is awarded for having served, not for any college-level courses that might have been taken while performing military service.

Are you eligible?

In order to be eligible to receive college credit for military services, you must have:

  • Graduated from a public or private high school accredited by a generally recognized accrediting organization or from a high school operated by the U.S. Department of Defense
  • Completed a minimum of two years of service in the armed services, unless discharged because of disability
  • Been honorably discharged from the armed forces

Accepting credit

UHCL does not have any degree programs that require physical education course so we will not award any credit for physical education under HB 269. However, if you meet the eligibility requirements you may receive up to 12 semester credit hours for general elective coursework to satisfy the degree requirements for your program of choice. The choice is yours. You will have to determine the number of credits to accept based on the number of general electives in your degree plan. For example, if your degree plan contains 9 hours of general electives, you can choose to accept 3, 6, or 9 hours. In making the decision about how many hours to accept, you should take into consideration the impact of accepting the military service credit will have on:

  • Your eligibility for a tuition rebate
  • Your eligibility for Texas-B-On-Time loan forgiveness
  • Excess credit hours that might result in higher tuition

Where to start

If you are a veteran who is considering applying to UHCL, you may meet with the Veteran Services Office to discuss military credit under HB 269. During your meeting, the advisor will discuss your options. You will also receive a form that you will be able to complete in order to indicate the amount of general elective credit you would like to receive for serving in the military. You do not have to make a choice prior to admissions, but we strongly encourage you to make the determination early so that your decision is reflected in your degree plan from your first semester at UHCL.

We will accept credit under HB 269 that has been granted by other institutions. If you have used the maximum amount of credit allowed by HB 269, UHCL will not be able to grant more credit. However, if you still have credits remaining, UHCL can grant you the remaining credit if is applicable to your UHCL major.


  • Capt. Wendell M. Wilson Office of Military and Veteran Services

    Phone: 281-283-3071
    Fax: 281-226-7297

    SSCB 3.201
    2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 177
    Houston, TX 77058-1098

    Office hours
    Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.