If You Are Being Activated or Deployed
The Office of Military and Veteran Services has developed a check list to help assist students called to active duty. We recommend students who are notified of upcoming military activation prior to the completion of their current semester to follow the following procedures:
- When a situation arises where a student currently serving in the armed forces receives orders for activation to state or federal service, the student will notify the Office of Military and Veteran Services (OMVS). Please submit orders to VSO@uhcl.edu.
- Once orders have been issued, OMVS will notify the service member’s faculty, as well as the Office of the Registrar, of deployment start and end dates.
- If a student withdraws from an institution of higher education because the student
is called to active military service, the institution, at the student's option shall:
- refund the tuition and fees paid by the student for the semester in which the student withdraws, or
- grant a student, who is eligible under the institution's guidelines, an incomplete grade in all courses by designating Withdrawn-Military on the student's transcript, or
- as determined by the instructor, assign an appropriate final grade or credit to a student who has satisfactorily completed a substantial amount of coursework and who has demonstrated sufficient mastery of the course material.
- Students or their representatives may request withdrawal and refund by presenting evidence of the call to active military duty to the college, the Registrar’s Office, or the appropriate university official. Students receiving Title IV federal funds should contact the System Financial Aid Office for additional information.
- Students withdrawing for this reason may be readmitted at the start of any semester after discharge from active duty.
If you require additional assistance, the Office of Veteran and Military Services can be reached directly at 281-283-3071 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Image Notice: The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.