Helping students who were formerly in foster care RISE to new heights, by providing connections to services and programs that elevate and support academic and personal goals. We assist foster care alumni in their transition into college, and support through graduation. Contact UHCL's Student Assistance Center (SAC) to learn more about the RISE initiative.
- Resilience (n) – Our students possess the strength and will power to overcome and rise above life’s challenges.
- Inspiration (n) – Driven to take action, our students are inspired and motivated to learn, as they are models of inspiration for others who travel their path.
- Success (n) – Our purpose is to provide support and to assist our students in successfully completing their academic and personal goals.
- Empowerment (n) – In reaching their goals, students become empowered and help to lift others at our institution and in the global community.
RISE Support Services
Our goal is to empower students who were adopted-out/aged-out of foster care, by providing personal assistance, and connecting students with the following support services:
- Assistance with obtaining Texas DFPS state college tuition waiver
- Assistance with adopted/foster waiver submission to Office of Student Financial Aid
- Assistance with applying for the Education and Training Voucher (ETV)
- Referrals to community and government resources
- Advocacy, support, and guidance navigating university procedures and policies
- Academic and student affairs resources (tutoring, counseling, accessibility services, career services, etc.)
- Student Housing & Residential Life
- Hawk Pantry (food, school supplies/backpacks, household and hygiene items)
- Gowns for Grads (graduation gown lending program)
- Hurricane Evacuation Transportation
- Hawk Emergency Fund Grant
For services and support, please contact the Student Assistance Center, SSCB 1.102, email@example.com, 281-283-2722.
RISE Support Fund
The Student Assistance Center, through the RISE Support Fund, provides additional support to students who have aged out of the foster care system. The RISE Support Fund is an effort to help UHCL students remove any barriers that may prohibit them from focusing on their academic and career endeavors. RISE support funds can be used to defray the cost of textbooks, fees not covered by tuition exemption, school supplies, medical care, food, transportation needs, personal care, living expenses, etc. Students may apply for RISE support funds by completing the RISE support fund application, below. For questions or assistance with completing the application, please contact the Student Assistance Center, SSCB 1.102, firstname.lastname@example.org, 281-283-2722.
Criteria for eligibility
- Enrolled student
- Student receiving the TDFPS tuition exemption, or student confirmed by state or local government as currently/previously in foster care, or similar documented circumstance
- Documentation verifying the cost of expenditure
- Student in good standing with the university, or with an academic/career success plan on file
Additional Support Services
- Preparation for Adult Living (PAL) Program
- Transitional Living Services and HAY Center (employment, education, housing, etc.)
- Healthcare information for former foster youth
- Texas Benefits (SNAP, TANF and Support Services)
- Personal Documents (birth certificate, social security card, personal identification, driver’s license, immunization record, case records, etc.)
- United Way - 211 (transportation, healthcare, rental assistance)
- Texas Youth Connection (safety, finance, legal, etc.)
- Texas Youth Helpline (free): Call 800-989-6884, Text 512-872-5777 or Chat
- Education and Training Voucher Program
- State College Tuition Waiver
- DFPS College Scholarships
- Casey Family Services Alumni Scholarship
- From Foster Care to College Scholarships
Donate to the RISE Support Fund
- Visit https://giving.uh.edu/uhcl/
- Select, "Top Funds"
- Select a Top Fund designation: "Other"
- Enter Amount
- Select "Add Gift"
- Enter Frequency
- Select "Next"
- Enter Special Instructions: Foster Care Student Fund
- Enter donor information
- Select, "Confirm your gift"