What is Safe Zone?
The UHCL Safe Zone Program is a faculty and staff program designed to further the mission of the university by helping to create a safe and supportive campus environment for all members of the UHCL community.
Specifically, this program was created to address the unique needs of those members of the community who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, and/or transgender. Safe Zone Allies serve as advocates and visible resources for the LGBT community at UHCL.
As stated in our institution's mission, the UHCL is first and foremost an institution of higher learning, "whose primary role is to provide fair and equitable learning opportunities to graduate and undergraduate students" (Role and Scope Statement, 2008). Additionally, "the University's faculty, staff, and administrators are committed to providing a humane, responsive, and intellectually stimulating environment for productive learning and working" (Role and Scope Statement, 2008). The UHCL Safe Zone Program has been designed to further these goals.
Our campus community reflects and is a part of a society comprising the broadest possible diversity of persons. Included in this diversity are the members of the LGBT community. The LGBT community is often the target of discrimination that has resulted in diminished opportunities for equal participation in our society. The UHCL Safe Zone Program works to ensure that such loss does not occur on campus by establishing a place that is free of stereotypical barriers and promotes tolerance and respect for individuals of all sexualities and gender identities.
The UHCL Safe Zone Program has been created to respond to the needs of the UHCL community. The mission of this program is to provide a welcoming environment for LGBT students, staff, administrators, and faculty that reflect the highest ethical standards of our university and society.
- Work to ensure all members of the LGBT community will be treated with dignity and respect;
- Assist LGBT students, staff, administrators, and faculty achieve their educational and career goals, by creating an inclusive, safe environment for learning and working;
- Provide the LGBT community with support, safety, and referral regarding LGBT related issues;
- Work to ensure UHCL policies, procedures, and practices reflect and promote a just, open, and an affirming environment for LGBT students, staff, administrators, and faculty;
- Identify a network of allies who are concerned and empathetic about LGBT issues.