R.I.S.E. Scholars Initiative
Helping students who were formerly in foster care RISE to new heights, by providing connections to services and programs that elevate and support academic and personal goals. RISE scholars are eligible enrolled students, currently in foster care and students who have aged out-out or were adopted-out of foster care. The Office of Student Advocacy assists RISE scholars in their transition into college, and support through graduation.
- Resilience (n) - Students possess the fortitude and will power to overcome and rise above adversity.
- Inspiration (n) - Students are inspired and motivated to find solutions to the challenges of today and tomorrow.
- Success (n) - As critical thinkers, students are on a learning path for personal growth and academic success.
- Empowerment (n) - Students develop as leaders and become advocates, empowered to lead and create inclusive environments that extend throughout the global community.
RISE Scholar Eligibility
- Spent time in foster care or aged out/adopted out through the Department of Family and Protective Services
- Currently enrolled student
RISE Scholars Support Services
Our goal is to empower students currently in foster care, and youth who were adopted-out/aged-out of foster care, by providing personal assistance, and connecting students with the following support services:
- Assistance with obtaining Texas DFPS state college tuition waiver
- Assistance with adopted/foster waiver submission to Office of Student Financial Aid
- Assistance with applying for the Education and Training Voucher (ETV)
- Referrals to community and government resources
- Advocacy, support, and guidance navigating university procedures and policies
- Academic and student affairs resources (tutoring, counseling, accessibility services, career services, etc.)
- Student Housing & Residential Life
- Hawk Pantry (food, school supplies/backpacks, household and hygiene items)
- Gowns for Grads (graduation gown lending program)
- Hawk Emergency Fund Grant
For services and support, please contact the Foster Care Liaison Officer and Assistant Dean of Students Kristi Randolph Simon, SSCB 1.201, firstname.lastname@example.org, 281-283-2451 or submit an online request.
Bill & Helen Crowder Foundation Endowment Scholarship
The Bill & Helen Crowder Foundation Scholarship Endowment is a one-time, $500.00 undergraduate scholarship award. The application process for general scholarships is available each year through E-Services, during the month of February.
- Applicant must be a degree-seeking undergraduate student in good standing at the University of Houston-Clear Lake.
- Applicant must be previously or currently in foster care or currently homeless.
- Scholarship award is non-renewable. Scholarship applicant must reapply.
- Scholarship recipient may accept other scholarships and grants in conjunction with this scholarship up to the cost of attendance, which includes tuition, fees, books, room and board, transportation, and personal expenses.
- The recipient(s) of the scholarship will be determined by a committee comprised of representatives within the Division of Student Affairs.
Additional Support Services
- Preparation for Adult Living (PAL) Program
- Transitional Living Services and HAY Center (employment, education, housing, etc.)
- Healthcare information for former foster youth
- Texas Benefits (SNAP, TANF and Support Services)
- Personal Documents (birth certificate, social security card, personal identification, driver’s license, immunization record, case records, etc.)
- United Way - 211 (transportation, healthcare, rental assistance)
- Texas Youth Connection (safety, finance, legal, etc.)
- Texas Youth Helpline (free): Call 800-989-6884, Text 512-872-5777 or Chat
External Financial Resources
- Education and Training Voucher Program
- State College Tuition Waiver
- DFPS College Scholarships
- Casey Family Services Alumni Scholarship
- From Foster Care to College Scholarships
- Foster Care to Success Scholarships
- Together We Rise Rapid Response
- Family Fellowship Program
Donate to the RISE Support Fund
- Visit Give to UHCL
- Select, "Top Funds"
- Select a Top Fund designation: "Other"
- Enter Amount
- Select "Add Gift"
- Enter Frequency
- Select "Next"
- Enter Special Instructions: Foster Care Student Fund
- Enter donor information
- Select, "Confirm your gift"