Dervis Emre Demirocak, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering,
College of Science and Engineering
Dervis Emre Demirocak received his B.S. and M.S. degrees in mechanical engineering from Middle East Technical University, Turkey in 2005 and 2008, respectively, and his Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from University of South Florida in 2013. After getting his Ph.D., he worked as a postdoctoral researcher in the Center for Automotive Research at the Ohio State University. Dr. Demirocak also has a significant industry experience ranging from propulsion system design to mechanical design.
Prior to joining University of Houston-Clear Lake, Dr. Demirocak was an assistant professor of mechanical engineering at the Texas A&M University-Kingsville, where he helped building the new Ph.D. program in sustainable energy systems engineering. In that position, he developed numerous courses for the Ph.D. program, such as Characterization of Materials, Sustainable Energy Systems and Policy, and Fundamentals of Power Generation and Energy Storage. He has received multiple grants to develop multifunctional binders for Li-ion batteries and to develop porous materials for adsorption cooling applications.
Dr. Demirocak served as a topic organizer for renewable energy, electrochemical energy
storage and fuel cells areas in the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
conferences. He was also selected for the Visiting Faculty Program at the National
Renewable Energy Laboratory to optimize electrochemical cell designs. Dr. Demirocak
has been serving as a reviewer for multiple prestigious journals such as Chemical
Society Reviews, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, Nanoscale, and International
Journal of Hydrogen Energy.
Areas of Expertise
- Li-ion batteries
- Hydrogen storage
- Carbon capture and storage
- Solar-thermal adsorption cooling
- Building energy simulation
- Porous materials
- S Srinivasan, DE Demirocak, A Kaushik, M Sharma, GR Chaudhary, N Hickman, E Stefanakos. Reversible Hydrogen Storage Using Nanocomposites, Applied Sciences, 2020, 10, 4618.
- MB Salim, DE Demirocak & N Barakat. A Fuzzy Based Model for Standardized Sustainability Assessment of Photovoltaic Cells, Sustainability, 2018, 10, 4787.
- DE Demirocak, S Srinivasan & E Stefanakos. A Review on Nanocomposite Materials for Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries. Applied Sciences, 2017, 7, 731.
- S Srinivasan, DE Demirocak, Y Goswami & E Stefanakos. Investigation of Catalytic Effects and Compositional Variations in Desorption Characteristics of LiNH2-nanoMgH2. Applied Sciences, 2017, 7, 701.
- MM Kabir & DE Demirocak. Degradation Mechanisms in Li-ion Batteries: A State-of-the-Art Review. International Journal of Energy Research, 2017, 41, 1963.
- DE Demirocak & B Bhushan. Probing the aging effects on nanomechanical properties of a LiFePO4 cathode in a large format prismatic cell. Journal of Power Sources, 2015, 280, 256-62.
- DE Demirocak & B Bhushan. In-situ atomic force microscopy analysis of morphology and particle size changes in LiFePO4 cathode. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2014, 423, 151-7.
- BB Christelle, SS Srinivasan, NO Egiebor, DE Demirocak, XS Wang & S Ma. Development of high storage capacity complex hydrides for reversible hydrogen storage. Open Journal of Advanced Materials Research, 2013, 1, 42-7.
- DE Demirocak, MK Ram, SS Srinivasan, DY Goswami & EK Stefanakos. A novel nitrogen rich porous aromatic framework for hydrogen and carbon dioxide storage. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2013, 1, 13800-6.
- DE Demirocak, SS Srinivasan, MK Ram, JN Kuhn, R Muralidharan, X Li, DY Goswami & EK Stefanakos, Reversible Hydrogen Storage in the Li-Mg-N-H System – The effects of Ru doped single walled carbon nanotubes on NH3 emission and kinetics. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2013, 38, 10039-49.
- DE Demirocak, SS Srinivasan, MK Ram, DY Goswami & EK Stefanakos, Volumetric Hydrogen Sorption Measurements − Uncertainty error analysis and the importance of thermal equilibration time, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2013, 38, 1469–77.
- DE Demirocak, MK Ram, SS Srinivasan, A Kumar, DY Goswami, EK Stefanakos, Spillover enhancement for hydrogen storage by Pt doped hypercrosslinked polystyrene. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2012, 37, 12402-10.
- DE Demirocak, S Kuravi, MK Ram, CK Jotshi, SS Srinivasan, A Kumar, DY Goswami & EK Stefanakos, Investigation of polyaniline nanocomposites and cross-linked polyaniline for hydrogen storage, Advanced Materials Research, 2012, 445, 571-6.
Courses (Current Academic Year)
- Introduction to Engineering
- Thermal-Fluid System Design
- Thermal-Fluid Laboratory
Current research includes simulation of electrochemical cell design for in-situ atomic force microscopy/scanning electrochemical microscopy experiments and building energy simulation for solar-thermal adsorption cooling applications.