The biology and Chemistry faculty members who serve on the Health Professions Advisory Committee (HPAC) dedicate themselves to helping students pursue careers in health care. They discuss academic interests and career options with chemistry and biology students who are working toward their undergraduate or graduate degrees, HPAC members offer valuable insights to help you reach your academic and professional goals.
If you haven't yet scheduled a meeting with your HPAC advisor, please do so as soon
as possible. If you are considering applying to a postgraduate health professions
program, you need to start the application process now. Chances are if you haven't
already begun the application process, you are behind schedule!
The HPAC members are:
- Dr. Daniel Wang (chemistry)
- Dr. Cindy Howard (biology)
- Dr. Jack Lu (chemistry)
- Dr. Bazlur Rashid (biology)
- Dr. Ron Mills (biology & chemistry)
- Dr. Larry Rohde (biology)
- Dr. Rick Puzdrowski (biology, Committee Chair)
The application process may vary, depending on your area of interest and on the particular school to which you apply. In general, take the following steps to prepare your application.
- Decide which school you are interested in. Visit their campus or research their program
via their website. Find out what courses they require of their applicants, and any
other unique application requirements. In general, students applying to medical or
dental school find that many medical schools require the following courses:
* Chemistry: Two years, both General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry with laboratory
* General Physics: One year with laboratory
* Calculus: One-half year (requirement varies)
* Biology: Two years, one with laboratory
- Pay attention to the application deadlines for the schools or application services where you submit your application. For medical and dental school applicants, you should prepare and submit your application as early as possible (from May through August) the year before you plan to begin medical or dental school. Many schools in Texas begin interviewing in early to mid-August for entrance the following fall. If you wait until August or later to submit your application, you lower your chances of interviewing for entrance the following fall.
- In consultation with your faculty advisor, decide what courses you need to take to prepare you for the aptitude exam (MCAT, DAT, etc.) relevant to your medical area of interest.
- Get to know your professors, especially those on the committee. Let them know your plans. These are the faculty members who will be writing your recommendation letters.
- Many medical schools also prize an applicant's extracurricular activities, such as:
* Experience in a medical setting (volunteering at a hospital, shadowing a physician on
rounds, working in a physician's office, etc.). Some schools require such experience.
* Participation in a scientific research project.
* Involvement in a community organization (serving as an officer, participating in the
organization's activities, etc.). Doing community service (coaching a youth soccer team,
visiting the sick, involvement in a charity).
Letters of Recommendation
When requesting letters of recommendation from the HPAC Committee, you should provide:
- All required forms to be submitted with the letter.
- A list of addresses for the letter's recipients.
- A brief resume summarizing your accomplishments, honors, and community service.
- A statement of purpose explaining why you want to pursue a career in health care.
- A photo of yourself (a clear photocopy of your driver's license photo will suffice).
Application Timeline for Medical, Dental, and Veterinary School
Please check the TMDSAS web page to confirm the accuracy of these dates.
- August 1: Submit the application for either the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine or UNTHSC Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine Early Decision Program. The deadline for certification page, fees, and photos is August 10th. Submit all required official transcripts and letters of recommendation to TMDSAS by August 15th (this date is for the EDP program ONLY).
- October 1: Submit Veterinary Medicine School application. Submit certification page and fees by October 10.
- November 1: Submit Medical School applications. Submit certification page, fees and photos by November 10.
- November 1: Submit Dental School applications. Submit certification page, fees and photos by November 10.
- November 1: Submit supporting documents: transcripts, letters of evaluation, and test scores. (TMDSAS does not wait to receive all supporting documents to process the application. The schools will begin reviewing the application with what documentation TMDSAS has to offer at that point, but it is ultimately the applicant's responsibility to get ALL supporting documents to TMDSAS on time. Note: Some schools will not extend an interview offer until TMDSAS has received the letters of evaluation.)
- Mid-January: Medical school applicants must submit via e-mail the final ranking of schools at which they interviewed.
- August 1 through December 31: Most interviews for the Medical and Dental schools occur in this time frame.
- October 1: Date by which Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine and UNTHSC-Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine Early Decision Program notifies applicants of admission action.
- December 1: Dental Schools begin extending offers of acceptance.
- February 1: Medical Schools mail initial acceptance letters (rolling admissions continue through date of matriculation).
- Matriculation dates vary; contact schools for precise information.
Note: These dates and deadlines may vary for private and out-of-state schools. Check with the schools you are interested in applying to for specific dates, deadlines, and requirements. Students seeking application to the Baylor College of Medicine and out-of-state medical schools may apply through the American Medical College Application Service (see web link below).
Links of Interest
- American Dental Association DAT Website
- Texas Medical and Dental School Application Service
- UTHSC at Houston Dental Branch
- UTHSC at San Antonio Dental School
- Baylor College of Dentistry
- American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine application service (AACOMAS)
- Texas Medical and Dental School Application Service
- American Medical College Application Service
- Association of American Medical Colleges
- Medfools: Medical education from start to finish
- American Osteopathic Association
- Best Nursing Degree
- Discover Nursing
- Texas Nurses Association
- UTMB School of Nursing
- UT Tyler College of Nursing
Physician Assistants School
Physical Therapy School