On-Campus Student Employment
Graduate students have an opportunity to work closely with UHCL faculty as teaching assistants and/or research assistants. Students are allowed to work up-to 20 hours per week as TAs and RAs.
Teaching Assistants are expected to be self-motivated, honest, task oriented, and professional. The positions have a one-semester length term but are renewable in subsequent semesters provided good standing is maintained. These TA positions are primarily used for lab courses in which the assistant helps the lab instructor facilitate the course. Availability during the lab hours, knowledge of the curriculum, and basic lab skills are required.
Research Assistantships allow students to work on specific research projects with ENSC faculty. The positions are paid-for by faculty grants and vary in length.
How to apply to TA
- Review the College of Science and Engineering requirements for being a Teaching Assistant.
- Identify the Environmental Science Faculty and course(s) for which you would like to TA. Notify the faculty member of your interest in applying to TA.
- Contact instructor for TA openings and ask Maria Winters (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a TA application form. Follow the instructions on the form and return to Mrs. Winters.
- Work with Mrs. Winters and Donna Wilson (WilsonDM@uhcl.edu) regarding your paperwork.
How to apply for RA
Scholarships and Grants
Off-Campus Student Employment
Many of our undergraduates seek internships with local companies and organizations for structured internship opportunities. These internships can be used to fulfill specific degree requirements for a B.S. in Environmental Science. If you have identified an internship opportunity, please notify your faculty advisor at UHCL.
Learn more about UHCL's co-operative education opportunities.
Environmental and Conservation (agencies, other university boards, and professional societies)
- American Fisheries Society Job Board
- American Water Resources Association
- EHS Careers
- Society of Environmental Toxicologists and Analytical Chemists
- Texas A&M University Wildlife and Fisheries Dept. Job Board
- Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Job Board
- USA Jobs
Links to Job Boards
- Agency for Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
- Air & Waste Management Association (AWMA)
- AIHA Gulf Coast Chapter
- American Conference for Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH)
- American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA)
- ASSE Gulf Coast Chapter
- Campus Safety Health & Environmental Management Association (CSHEMA)
- Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA)
- National AFS Job Board
- National Safety Council (NSC)
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ)
- US Department of Labor
- US Fish & Wildlife Service
- Wildlife & Fisheries Sciences Job Board
Registration and Enrollment