It's a Beautiful Room, and It's Yours!
The Faculty Club is located in the Bayou Building, Room 1433, immediately before the entrance to the cafeteria and the Forest Room.
Come to the Faculty Club to:
- Meet with colleagues and faculty friends
- Eat lunch
Available to all faculty, full time & adjuncts, and emeriti. Inside you will find comfortable tables and chairs for working, couches and elegant seating for reading or conversation, and a great atmosphere for camaraderie. The Faculty Club may also be reserved for meetings and events (subject to event size and room availability).
The door to the Faculty Club can be opened using the same procedure to unlock any other door at UHCL with your Faculty Identification Card.
Using the Faculty Club
(Excerpted Sections of the Faculty Club By-Laws)
The Faculty Club serves to bring together faculty in order to promote collegiality, academic debate, professionalism and respect for the time-honored tradition of a community of scholars.
Faculty Club Membership
Membership is open to all teaching faculty and faculty who because of administrative assignments teach no classes. Teaching faculty is defined as all full-time faculty and those temporarily on leave or those whose time is funded fully by research grants. In addition to these categories of teaching faculty, Faculty Club membership is open to non-teaching emeriti faculty. The status of non-teaching emeriti faculty is formally determined by the formal and explicit recommendation of the Council of Professors and subsequent approval by the University President and the University of Houston System.
Guidelines for Club Usage
The Club will be open for Faculty use from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday; 7:30 a.m. until 7 p.m. on Friday; 10 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, and 1 to 5 p.m. on Sunday.
The Club will be open for Faculty use whenever the Bayou Building is open and the space has not been reserved. The Club may be reserved by the respective schools for school-specific faculty use, such as school-wide faculty meetings, departmental meetings and advisory board meetings, and by faculty-based organizations, such as the Council of Professors, the Faculty Senate, Emeriti faculty and other faculty specific organizations. No organization may reserve the Club for longer than four hours at a time without a special waiver from the Junior Vice President of the Council of Professors or Executive Committee. Organizations are encouraged to limit reserved usage to no more than two hours but that is left to the discretion and conscience of the reserving organization. No student organizations are permitted to use the Club for any purpose without a special waiver from the Council of Professors Executive Committee. The Club is not available at any time for personal social gatherings organized by one or two faculty members for social purposes extending beyond the scope and mission of the Club and University. Faculty may bring guests to the Club for the expressed purpose of contributing to the expressed mission of the University and the explicitly stated mission of the Club itself.
If you have any questions about using the Faculty Club or reserving the Faculty Club, send an email to Faculty Club Calendar.
Instructions for Reserving the Faculty Club
Reserve the Faculty Club Using Outlook 2013
- Open your Outlook Calendar
- Select New Appointment
- Complete the subject, location, start time, and end time. Also, in the message section, include the name of the faculty member making the reservation, including their school and program, and the purpose of the event, including the name of the sponsoring school, program, or faculty-based organization.
- Select Scheduling Assistant
- Your name will appear under "All Attendees"
- Click on the Address Book icon
- If the icon isn't showing, click on "Invite Attendees" to display the Address book
- When the Address Book comes up, type Faculty in the search window. The Faculty Club Calendar will display.
- The Faculty Club is considered a "resource", so at the bottom of this window, you'll see "Resources->". With Faculty Club Calendar selected above, click on the Resources-> button to populate the field.
- Click OK
- If the day/time you have chosen is already taken, the day/time will be blocked as
either blue or blue striped. See the key at the bottom of the page to identify availability.
- If the day/time is available, click Send. If not, select an available day/time and Send.
Arrangements with Facilities for movement of the furniture or with Food Services for catering require filling out their forms and is the responsibility of the sponsors of the event.
Room capacity is limited (approximately 40). Please note that use requires the room be left tidy and furnishings returned to the standard arrangement as indicated on the back of the door.