Darlene F. Biggers
Student Services offers convenient, high quality services for non-traditional learners and programs to help build a successful foundation for life.
Dr. Darlene Biggers has served as the Associate Vice President for Student Services at University of Houston-Clear Lake (UHCL) since September 1994. Before coming to UHCL, Dr. Biggers served as the Director of the Center for Student Development at the University of Wisconsin – Platteville and Dean of Women at Upper Iowa University. Dr. Biggers has also taught as an adjunct at Kirkwood Community College and served as an academic advisor at the University of Iowa. Dr. Biggers began her career as a high school English teacher in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
Dr. Biggers has been active in both state and national professional organizations and has given over twenty-five conference presentations. She has served as a directorate member of the Administrative Leadership Commission and the Standing Committee for Women of the American Personnel Association which has presented her with the Senior Practitioner Award, Diamond Honoree Award, Distinguished Service to the Administrative Leadership Commission and Outstanding Service towards the Development of Women. She has served as the Legislative Commission Chair, President-elect and President of the Texas Association of College and University Student Personnel Administrators. The Texas Council of Student Services Vice Presidents also elected her as Secretary-Treasurer, Chair-elect, and Chair.
Dr. Biggers received her B.A. in English and certification in secondary education from the University of Northern Iowa, M.A. in Psychology, Guidance and Counseling from the University of Northern Colorado, and Ph.D. in Counselor Education from the University of Iowa.
The Associate Vice President for Student Services (AVPSS) is the chief student affairs officer and has the primary responsibility for coordinating student services and programs which enhance the learning environment and contribute to student success. The AVPSS reports to the Senior Vice President and Provost and is responsible for the following:
- Leadership and supervision for the offices of the Dean of Students, Career and Counseling Services, Health and Disability Services, Intercultural and International Student Services, Student Life, Student Publications, the Writing Center, and the Student Conference for Research and Creative Arts.
- Budgeting, planning, and assessment efforts of the division of Student Services.
- Development of programs that create an inclusive, engaging, and supportive learning environment for students.
- Collaboration with key internal and external constituents to enhance student success, retention, and graduation.
- Participation in Shared Governance committees and advisement of key administrators regarding policy and program decisions which impact students.
Student Services Division
Helping you Succeed!
We offer many opportunities for you to achieve your personal and academic goals:
- Tutoring, classroom accommodations, and academic skills counseling
- Career planning
- Leadership development
- Cultural and global awareness
- Wellness programs, a fitness center, and personal counseling
For assistance, contact:
Mission and Vision
Student Services at UHCL is dedicated to:
- Enhancing an inclusive and open community in which the contributions of all are valued We recognize and are strongly committed to a multifaceted population of students, faculty, staff, and community supporters
- Responding to the needs of students and visitors with service that is friendly, respectful, helpful, and convenient
- Providing intentional learning activities and experiences to put into practice theories learned in the classroom and providing a supportive environment for students to build and practice skills that foster professional and personal development
- Supporting students' ability to identify values and pursue goals they hold fundamental to successful living
- Developing a love of inquiry and learning that students will utilize throughout their lifetimes
- Collaborating with faculty and staff to integrate the student development perspective with the academic programs of the university
- Encouraging interactions with our partners in the community
- Challenging ourselves to continuously explore ways to improve our competencies and services
2700 Bay Area Boulevard
Houston, TX 77058
Suite Bayou 2525
Executive Secretary, Student Services
Academic Support Services
Counseling, Health and Career Services
Dean of Students
- Dean of Students
- Orientation and New Student Programs
- Pearland Student Services
- Student Assistance Center
Student Involvement and Inclusion
- Student Conference for Research and Creative Arts
- Student Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Student Life
- Student Publications
Directory and Org Chart
Printed copies also available at:
Bayou 2523 - AVP Student Services
SSCB 1102 - Student Assistance Center
SSCB 1201 - Dean of Students
Compact With Texans
Visit Compact with Texans if you wish to send a comment or complaint.