Writing in Plain Language
Plain language makes it easier for all users to read and understand web content. Plain language may be especially helpful to English language learners, people with certain disabilities, and others.
Plain Language on the Web
- Be concise. Use shorter sentences and paragraphs than you would in a printed document.
- Structure your content. Divide information into sections with clear headings. Learn more about headings on our page about Accessible Web Content.
- Start with the most important information. Leave out unnecessary details.
- Use a conversational, helpful tone.
- Use strong verbs in active voice.
- Use common words, and avoid jargon or technical terms as much as possible.