Skip Top Navigation

Social Work Frequently Asked Questions

What is CSWE?

The Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) is a national association that preserves and enhances the quality of social work education for practice that promotes the goals of individual and community well-being and social justice. CSWE pursues this mission through setting and maintaining policy and program standards, accrediting bachelor's and master's degree programs in social work, promoting research and faculty development, and advocating for social work education. For more information, visit the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).

Why should I attend a program accredited by CSWE?

CSWE is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation as the sole accrediting body for social work education in the U.S. Social work education programs that are accredited by CSWE have met a series of rigorous standards designed by leading social work educators and practitioners to ensure that students are adequately prepared for professional practice. Membership in the National Association of Social Workers and the social work licensing laws in most states require graduation from a CSWE-accredited program. The profession of social work in the United States looks to the CSWE-accredited programs to produce social workers that have the knowledge and skills to be professional social workers. Your chances of being licensed or hired as a social worker are greatly enhanced by an accredited social work degree.

What is advanced standing?

The typical master's degree program consists of the equivalent of two years' full-time study. Some graduate programs will grant advanced standing to applicants who hold a bachelor's degree from a program accredited by CSWE. The extent of advanced standing varies from program to program. You should contact individual programs for information on the extent to which they offer advanced standing. Some advanced standing programs allow for completion of the master's degree in one calendar year (usually three concurrent semesters).

What conditions must be in place for BSW graduates to sit for their licensing exam in the state of Texas?

The Texas State Board of Social Work Examiners allows for graduates from programs that are accredited with CSWE or those who have achieved "candidacy" status to apply and sit for licensure. For more information, visit the Texas State Board of Social Work Examiners (TSBSWE) and the Association of Social Work Boards.

What is NASW?

The National Association of Social Workers (NASW) is the largest membership organization of professional social workers in the world, with more than 155,000 members. NASW works to enhance the professional growth and development of its members, to create and maintain professional standards, and to advance sound social policies. For more information, visit the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) and the NASW Texas Chapter.