Social Work Program
As our society grows in complexity, the role of social workers becomes more critical. Social workers help people achieve an effective level of psychosocial functioning in society. University of Houston-Clear Lake's Social Work undergraduate program prepares you for social work practice or graduate study.
Goals and Objectives
Upon completing your degree at UH-Clear Lake, you are prepared to take the Licensed Social Worker exam, making you more marketable to employers. You can pursue the field of social work in many areas, including the following:
- Adoption/Foster Care
- Criminal Justice System
- Disabilities Services
- Immigrant & Refugee Services
- Physical and Mental Health Care
- Social Policy and Advocacy
- Nonprofit Community Organizations
- Senior Care
- Substance Use and Addiction Care
- Veterans and Military Affairs
The Bachelor of Social Work is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
Admission into the BSW program begins with starting and completing the undergraduate admission process. However, admission into the BSW program occurs once students have begun their coursework at UHCL. Interested students are encouraged to reach out to the Program Faculty with questions.
- BSW Admissions Criteria and Policies
- Completion of the Texas Core Requirements.
- Completion of Introduction to Psychology. Students must earn a grade of "C" or higher.
- Completion of Introduction to Sociology. Students must earn a grade of "C" or higher.
- Completion of one of the following natural science courses: Human or General Biology; Anatomy & Physiology; Human or General Biology for non science majors; or The Human Body - complete with any associated lab.
- Completion of SWRK 2361 - Introduction to Social Work with a grade of "C" or higher.
- Completion of SWRK 3304 - Professional Issues and Ethics in Social Work with a grade
of "C": or higher.
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher.
Policy & Procedures
How to Apply
Please review the Application Instructions and Supporting Materials before you begin. A completed application packet must include the following documents and information.
- Application Form and Checklist
- An unofficial copy of all college transcripts
- 3 letters of recommendation from previous instructors or work supervisors (download Letter of Recommendation Form)
- A 4-6 page autobiographical statement. Applicants should be certain that their autobiographical statement is a strong sample of their ability to express themselves in writing. The statement should include a description of the student's educational, work, and/or life goals, their personal and professional objectives, social work or human service experience, contact, exposure to, or experience with diverse groups and any other information the student believes may be important when considering their application for admission to the program.
- Student Code of Conduct Form
Applications accepted at any time.
All materials must be submitted by July 15 for Fall admission and December 15 for Spring admission.
Additional Admission Information
Curriculum and Instruction
- Develop the knowledge and skills for working with oppressed populations who may have been discriminated against based on race, color, religion, gender identity/expression, age, sexual orientation, mental, or physical disability, veteran status or national origin
- Learn a respect and appreciation for diversity throughout all components of our applied learning environment
- Intern at one of several regional social service agencies
- Participate in faculty research projects
Student Data and Outcomes
Social Work Competencies and UHCL Students' Performance:
Information for Current Students
- UH Graduate College of Social Work Job Bank
- United Way of Greater Houston Job Bank
- Masters in Social Work Directory
University Student Resources
- Class Schedule
- Enrollment Processes
- Waitlisting a Class
- Enrollment Verification
- Types of Aid
For additional information about Social Work faculty and courses, contact: