School Psychologists, or Licensed Specialists in School Psychology (LSSP) in Texas, are uniquely qualified members of school teams that support students' ability to learn and teachers' ability to teach. They apply expertise in mental health, learning, and behavior to help children and youth succeed academically, socially, behaviorally, and emotionally. School Psychologists/LSSPs partner with families, teachers, school administrators, and other professionals to create safe, healthy, and supportive learning environments that strengthen connections between home, school, and the community. U.S. News & World Report ranks School Psychology #1 in Best Social Services Jobs and #57 in The 100 Best Jobs (with a low 1.2% unemployment rate)!
University of Houston-Clear Lake's School Psychology Program is approved by the National Association of School Psychologists and nationally recognized by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation.
- School Psychology SSP
Application1. Complete the "ApplyTexas" online university application.
2. Submit additional supporting documents for the program (outlined below).
- Submit GRE scores (not more than 5 years old) through the standard reporting procedures.
- Submit official transcripts from all institutions attended to the UHCL Office of Admissions.
- Curriculum Vitae: An expanded résumé describing previous education; all work experience; relevant course work and relevant volunteer activities; any honors, presentations, papers, avocations or other relevant life experiences
- Statement of purpose and goals, not to exceed 1,000 words, describing your reasons for wanting this degree and how it fits into career goals.
Three letters of recommendation and recommendation forms (found on program web site) should be submitted directly by the recommenders to firstname.lastname@example.org. Recommendations from academic faculty and/or work supervisors who know the applicant well are preferred.
The School Psychology program has an additional application fee of $35 that should be sent directly to UHCL. In making your payment, please indicate that the application fee is for your application to the School Psychology program. Check or money orders may be sent to:
School Psychology Program Admissions
University of Houston-Clear Lake
2700 Bay Area Blvd, Box 73
Houston, TX 77058
Additional Admission Information
Information for Current Students
- Student Handbook
- School Psychology Course Sequence
- Texas Association of School Psychologists
- Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists
- National Association of School Psychologists
- Class Schedule
- Enrollment Processes
- Waitlisting a Class
- Enrollment Verification
- Types of Aid
A doctorate in Health Services Psychology (Combined Clinical/School Psychology) is also offered!
For more information, contact:
Dr. G. Thomas Schanding, Jr., Program Director