The Nursing program offers the RN-BSN degree.
The RN-BSN is a degree completion program for nurses who hold an Associate Degree in Nursing or a diploma in Nursing from an accredited institution.
If you have a desire to advance as a nurse leader and/or manager, then attending the RN-BSN program at the University of Houston-Clear Lake (UHCL) is the program for you. Recognizing the growing demand for BSN prepared nurses, UHCL offers an RN-BSN program with a focus in leadership and management. This program is designed for nursing professionals who possess an Associate degree in Nursing or Diploma in Nursing and a valid license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the Texas Board of Nursing.
To further meet the needs of working adults the RN-BSN program offers courses in three distinctive tracks so whether you are desiring to return to school full-time, three quarters, or half-time we have a program that will fit your schedule. The nursing program courses are offered face-to-face at UHCL- Pearland Campus, which is centrally located in beautiful Pearland, TX.
The Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850
Atlanta, Georgia 30326
Admission RequirementsThe RN to BSN program is designed specifically for licensed registered nurses seeking a BSN degree. The RN-BSN degree plan is offered two days of the week in a face to face classroom experience. The full-time program can be completed in three to five semesters.
- RN-BSN Requirements and Deadlines
- An Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN or AAS) or Diploma in Nursing
- Cumulative GPA of 2.0 on all college course work attempted
- Complete Anatomy and Physiology I, II and Microbiology with a grade of C or better and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Complete all lower level nursing courses with a grade of C or better and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- A current unencumbered Texas RN License (verification from Texas Board of Nursing website)
- Apply online and pay a non-refundable $45 application fee for domestic applicants and $75 for international applicants.
- Submit official transcripts from every college or university attended. To expedite processing, request transcripts be sent electronically. Hand-delivered transcripts should not be more than 60 days old and in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution. International applicants should review the Office of International Admissions website for additional details of application requirements.
- Verification of Licensure from the Texas Board of Nursing to practice as an RN in Texas will be verified by the Nursing Office after application, transcript(s) and fee payments have been received. This document should not be submitted online through your To-Do List in E-services.
- Application for admission into the RN-BSN Program follow the same guideline as the University of Houston-Clear Lake general admissions dates for fall and spring semesters. For additional information, please visit the admissions website page at www.uhcl.edu/admissions.
Please send your documents to:
Office of Admissions
University of Houston-Clear Lake
2700 Bay Area Blvd., Box 13
Houston, TX 77058-1002
Please request your official transcripts be electronically sent to UHCL. This will ensure faster processing of application.
For more information regarding the application process, please contact the Office of Enrollment Services at the Pearland Campus at firstname.lastname@example.org or 281-212-1690.
Additional Admission Information
Once the applicant has been admitted to the RN-BSN program and returned the Acceptance of Intent Letter, applicant will be required to submit the documents as outlined below at the Pearland New Student Orientation or directly to:
Dr. Karen Alexander
Program Director, RN-BSN
Students are required to submit:
- TB testing results/or Chest X-ray, if required (For year of admission)
- MMR, Chicken Pox vaccines/titers
- Documentation for COMPLETED three dose series of Hepatitis B vaccines and a positive Hepatitis B antibody titer. (Hepatitis B vaccines, titers, TB testing available at University Health Center by appointment)
- Provide evidence of current CPR certification
Curriculum and Instruction
The nursing program curriculum provides insight into subjects including research related to evidence-based practice, patient safety, legal issues, ethical standards, technology integration, health care systems and policies. It will also allow students to receive crucial training in key areas such as communication, leadership and critical thinking while also gaining knowledge in effectively managing the complex and changing landscape of today's health care delivery systems.
In addition, acquiring a BSN paves the way for admission into many graduate-level nursing programs in clinical practice, research, consulting and teaching, opening doors for those seeking academic progression or a career in nursing education.
Student Data and Outcomes
UHCL RN-BSN Graduation and Job Placement Assessment Data
100 %— 2015-2016 (Fall and Spring) Graduates
Job Placement Rate
100%— Fall 2015- Graduates
Learn more about the RN-BSN program at UHCL's Pearland campus by attending one of our information sessions.