On Tuesday, Nov. 27, 2018 Hawks near and far will come together to celebrate Giving Tuesday, a global day of giving. Our goal is for over 200 Hawks to give back in support of UHCL during this 24-hour period and encourage other members of the Hawk community to do the same.
How can I participate?
- Make a gift in person at the Hawks Giving Back Table on Tuesday, Nov. 27:
- UHCL, Bayou Building, Atrium I, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- UHCL Pearland, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- UHCL Recreation and Wellness Center, 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Give online! https://giving.uh.edu/uhcl
- Share your reason(s) for giving by posting an #unselfie on your personal social media
pages, like Facebook or Instagram. Knowing that you support UHCL may convince your
friends, fellow alumni and family members to support UHCL, too.
- All Hawks who share an #unselfie with #HawksGivingBack are entered in a random drawing for a Hawk prize pack.
- Help a student organization earn some funding!
All Hawks who share #unselfies with #HawksGivingBack may also add hashtags for as many student organizations as they choose. Each tag counts as one vote for those organizations. The top two organizations receiving the most votes win $50 and $25 gift cards.
- Help spread the message!
The Hawk who shares the #unselfie with #HawksGivingBack that achieves the widest reach on social media (as measured by total number of likes and retweets) earns a $25 gift card.
Where can I direct my gift?
You can support any area of UHCL that is meaningful to you – colleges, departments, program and scholarships all improve the educational opportunity we offer. Some options to consider include:
UHCL Priorities Fund
Gifts to this fund allow UHCL respond to emerging needs, long-term priorities and new opportunities. With this Fund, UHCL can invest in paradigm-shifting technology and provide relief to our community after an emergency. Supporting the UHCL Priorities fund allows the President to invest where the need is greatest and where the biggest results can be achieved.
Hawk Emergency Fund
Gifts to this fund are given as grants to students with demonstrated need when emergencies interfere with their college careers. These grants can be used for any education-related expenses, from the costs of tuition, transportation and food to replacing destroyed textbooks, computers and school supplies.
Scholarships that Promote Success
UHCL offers many advantages to students – low cost of attendance, comprehensive academic support services and a nurturing environment for learning and achievement – but only if the student can afford it. Support scholarships to help ensure that more students, regardless of income, can earn a college degree.
- Hawk Advantage Scholarship is offered to incoming freshmen who are entering college for the first time and who demonstrate unmet financial need. These generous awards are $2,500 per year for up to four years, so long as the students are enrolled full-time and remain in good academic standing.
- Alumni Association Scholarship Endowment is the largest privately funded scholarship on campus. Since its inception in 2000, the endowment has awarded more than $100,000 in scholarships to new and returning students. Financial need and academic success are both required to earn this scholarship.
You can support any area of UHCL that is meaningful to you, at any amount. If you don’t see your preferred designation listed on the giving page, you may list them in the specifications box.
Is there a minimum donation?
The minimum donation is $1.00 for online, cash or check donations.
Can I make my gift by mail or phone?
#HawksGivingBack is only a 24-hr campaign, so we encourage you to make your gift online. To make a gift my mail, please note "Giving Tuesday" on the memo line of your check to ensure it counts toward our campaign goal. Make checks payable to University of Houston-Clear Lake or UHCL. To make a gift by phone, please call 281-283-2021 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
How else can I help? Take an #unselfie!
Follow the UHCL and UHCL Alumni Association accounts and share our content with your network. You can make an even greater impact by sharing why you're giving back with an #unselfie. Here's how to participate:
- Take a "selfie" with a caption explaining how or why you're giving back to UHCL (Download #unselfie poster)
- Tag your photo with #HawksGivingBack and #unselfie
- Share your photo on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Encourage your friends to do the same
How do I win an #unselfie competition?
- Just by sharing an unselfie with the hashtag #HawksGivingBack. This enters you in a random drawing for a prize packed full of Hawk swag.
- By having a wide social media reach. The post #HawksGivingBack with the most likes earns a $25 gift card.
- By providing support to a student organization that matters to you. Adding additional hashtags for student organizations to your unselfie counts as a vote for each organization. You can tag as many as you wish in your unselfie. The first and second highest vote getters earn a $50 and a $25 gift cards, respectively.
- By helping to spread the message and leverage additional support for UHCL. A strong UHCL helps all of our alumni, students and future students.
On Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2017, over 100 Hawks gave back in support of student scholarships and programs totaling over $11,000.
On Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2016 Hawks near and far came together to celebrate Giving Tuesday, a global day of giving. Over 100 Hawks gave back in support of student scholarships and programs totaling over $13,000. Hawks also made an even greater impact by sharing why they gave back with an #unselfie.