Debra Shulsky, Ed.D.
Program Coordinator and Associate Professor of Curriculum and Instruction,
College of Education
Areas of Expertise
- Social Studies Education
- Curriculum & Instruction
- Teacher Education
Research topics include: Critical Pedagogy, Global Citizenship, Transformative Education, Teacher Preparation and Mentorship
- Shulsky D. & Hendrix E. (2016). Rooting the literacies of citizenship: Ideas that integrate Social Studies and Language Arts in the cultivation of a new global mindset. In A. Crowe & A. Cuenca (Eds.), Rethinking social studies teacher education for twenty-first century citizenship.New York, NY: Springer.
- Shulsky, D. & Willis, J (2015). Early lessons in an introductory technology course: The evolution of teacher candidates’ conceptualization of social justice. In L. Nganga & J. Kambutu (Eds.), Social justice education, globalization & teacher education. New York, NY: Springer.
- McDonald, D., Baker, S. & Shulsky, D. (2020). Against the professional odds: Barriers as building blocks for educational advancement. Journal of Advanced Academics (2020).
- Baker, S. & Shulsky, D. (2020). Planting the seeds of perspective consciousness: Creating resource sets to inspire compassionate global citizens. International Journal of Development Education and Global Learning, (Summer 2020).
- Shulsky, D., Baker S., Chvala, T. & Willis (2017). Cultivating layered literacies developing the global child to become tomorrow’s global citizen. International Journal of Development Education and Global Learning, 9 (1), 49-63.
- Shulsky, D. & Kirkwood, D. (2015). Beyond tempera paint: Authentically exploring visual art in early childhood. Childhood Education, 91 (5), 363-369.
- Kirkwood, D., Shulsky, D & Willis, J. (2014). Beyond piñatas, fortune cookies and wooden shoes: Using the world wide web to help children explore the whole wide world. Childhood Education, 90 (1), 11-19.
- Shulsky, D. (2014). Strategies that promote the discovery of multiple perspectives. The Social Studies Texan, 30 (2), 47-49.
- Shulsky, D. Witschonke, C., & Herrera, J. (2013). Connecting the curriculum with comics: Considerations for engaging all learners. The Social Studies Texan, 29 (2), 58-60.
Awards and Accomplishments
- 2019 UHCL Sigma Alpha Pi Teaching Award
- 2019 Ben E Coody Distinguished Service Award: Texas Association of Teacher Educators