Denise McDonald, Ed.D
Associate Professor of Curriculum and Instruction,
College of Education
Areas of Expertise
- Qualitative Research Methodology - Self-Study, Narrative Inquiry, and Ethnography
- Research Topics - Relational Pedagogy, Reflective Pedagogy, Teacher Preparation, and Instructional Strategies
- McDonald, D. M. (2013). Experiential learning via scenario enactments. Academic Exchange Quarterly, 17(2), 28-33. (*Editor's Choice)
- McDonald, D. M. (2013). Repurposing "lost," discarded, or forgotten objects into a "found" treasure trove of creative writing ideas. Teaching Artist Journal, 11(1), 5-14.
- McDonald, D. M. (2012). A dialogic process for exploring societal issues. Academic Exchange Quarterly, 16(3), 59-65.(*Editor's Choice – Zeitgeist Essay)
- McDonald, D. M. (2012). Building experiential knowledge through hypothetical enactments: A meta-pedagogical process. Transformative Dialogues: Teaching and Learning Journal, 6(1), 1-18.
- McDonald, D. M. & Farrell, T. (2012). Out of the mouths of babes: Early college high school students' transformational learning experiences. Journal of Advanced Academics, 23(3), 231-257.
- McDonald, D. M. (2012). "How is a grandfather like an acorn?" New Teacher Advocate. 19(4), 8.
- Edwards-Bubb, T., McDonald, D. M., & Crawford, C. M. (2011). Meaningful connections: "Going the distance" in distance learning the design and generation of community building online learning interactions. In H. Wang (Ed.), Interactivity in E-Learning: Studies and Frameworks, (pp. 274 – 304). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- McDonald, D. M. (2013, April). Examining scholarly identity through auto-fiction: A court jester's tale. Paper presented at the American Educational Research Association, San Francisco, CA.
- McDonald, D. M. & Garza, R. (2012, October). Resonating realness through pedagogy: What does authentic teaching look and feel like? Session presentation at the American Association for Teaching and Curriculum San Antonio, TX.
- McDonald, D. M., Craig, C., Smith, D., Garcia, M., Shulsky, D., Benavente-McEnery, L., & Divoll, K. (2011, October). Exploring our academic sandbox: Scholarly identities developed through play, tantrums, building castles, and rebuffing backyard bullies. Presentation at the American Association for Teaching and Curriculum, Denver, CO.
Ongoing Self-Study of teaching reflective thinking and exemplary instructional strategies to pre-service teachers and examination of my own relational pedagogy.
2013 - Received CREATE grant to collaboratively research mathematics "curriculum looping" at McWhirter Elementary
Awards and Accomplishments
2012 Association of Teacher Educators Leadership Academy - Invited Member
2010 UHCL Alumni Outstanding Professor Award
2007 Who's Who Among America's Teachers
1992 Carpenter Elementary Teacher of the Year (Deer Park, Texas)