Carol Carman, Ph.D.
Professor of Educational Research,
College of Education
Areas of Expertise
- Quantitative Research Design
- Definitions of Giftedness
- Identification Methods
- Gifted Adults
- Carman, C.A., Walther, C.A.P., & Bartsch, R.A. (2020). Differences in using the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT7) nonverbal battery versus the Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test (NNAT2) to identify the gifted/talented. Gifted Child Quarterly, 64(3), 171-191. https://doi.org/10.1177/0016986220921164
- Stout, R., Archie, C., Cross, D., & Carman, C. A. (2018). The relationship between faculty diversity and graduation rates in higher education. Intercultural Education, 29, 399-417.
- Carman, C. A., Walther, C. A. P., & Bartsch, R. A. (2018). Using the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) 7 Nonverbal Battery to identify the gifted/talented: An investigation of demographic effects and norming plans. Gifted Child Quarterly. 62, doi:10.1177/0016986217752097
- Richardson, C., Gonzalez, A., Leal, L., Castillo, M., & Carman, C. A. (2016). PSAT Component Scores as predictor of success on AP Exam performance for diverse students. Education and Urban Society, 48, 384-402.
- Badgett, K., Decman, J., & Carman, C. (2013). National implications: The impact of teacher graduate degrees on student math assessments. National Forum of Teacher Education Journal, 23, 1-18.
- Carman, C. A. (2013). Comparing apples and oranges: Fifteen years of definitions of giftedness in research. Journal of Advanced Academics, 24, 52-70.
- Badgett, K., Harrell, S., Carman, C. A., & Lyles, L. (2012). Examining the relationship between TELPAS reading and TAKS reading for students with limited English proficiency. Education and Urban Society,44, 688-706.
- Carman, C. A. (2011). Adding personality to gifted identification: Relationships among traditional and personality-based constructs. Journal of Advanced Academics. 22, 412-446.
- Carman, C. A. (2011). Stereotypes of giftedness in current and future educators. Journal for the Education of the Gifted, 34, 790-812.
- Carman, C. A., & Taylor, D. K. (2010). Socioeconomic status effects on using the Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test (NNAT) to identify the gifted/talented. Gifted Child Quarterly, 54, 75-84.
Courses (Current Academic Year)
- COUN 6032 Statistics and Measurement for Counselors
- COUN 6033 Research Design and Analysis for Counselors
- EDCI 7031 Quantitative Research I
- EDCI 7032 Quantitative Research II
- EDCI 7333 Survey Design
- EDLS 7031 Quantitative Research I
- EDLS 7032 Quantitative Research II
- EDLS 7333 Survey Design
- EDLS 8530 Research Seminar
- EDUC 6032 Applied Statistics
- EDUC 6033 Research Design and Analysis
- EDUC 4310 Theories of Educational Psychology
- Allen, N. J., DeLauro, K. A., Perry, J. K., & Carman, C. A. A Reexamination of Goldstein and Perin’s “Predicting Performance in a Community College Content-Area Course from Academic Skill Level.”
- Botkin, M., Cornwell, K., Peña, C., Sanchez, N., & Carman, C. A. Factors Contributing to Achievement of Eighth Grade Algebra I Students: Effects on End-of-Course State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR).
- Carman, C. A., & Bartsch, R. A. The effects of course length on student outcome variables.
- Carman, C. A., & Burchfield, T. Socioeconomic status effects on using the CogAT to identify the gifted/talented.
- Richardson, C., Gonzalez, A., Leal, L., Castillo, M., & Carman, C. A. PSAT Component Scores as Predictor of Success on AP Exam Performance for Diverse Students. Education and Urban Society
- Stout, R., Archie, C., Cross, D., & Carman, C. A. The Relationship Between Faculty Diversity and Graduation Rates in Higher Education.
Awards and Accomplishments
- UHCL Nomination for Piper Award, finalist 2011, 2012
- Phi Kappa Phi (Scholarship Honor Society)
- Kappa Delta Pi (International Honor Society in Education)
- University of Kansas, School of Education Merit Scholarship 2004-2005