Libraries are a Powerhouse of Resources
Librarians are at the heart of a school’s research activities. They support the right to access information for everyone, and it is a librarian’s mission to ensure students have access to the materials they need to help them learn. That is why the focus of the Department of Literacy, Library, and Learning Technologies in University of Houston-Clear Lake's College of Education is to provide teachers, librarians, instructional designers, and educational leaders with the knowledge and experience to build a solid foundation in the literacy skills of reading, writing, listening, and speaking, viewing and visually representing, while utilizing the ever-expanding communication spectrum which constitutes the world with which all learners will be confronted.
Share your Passion for Books and Knowledge with Children
Transliteracy is a relatively new term describing communication in the 21st Century, where reading and writing are the critical beginning for an odyssey of endless, ever-changing media platforms. This concept is changing every facet of life, particularly how we gather information, communicate, and learn. That is why graduates are equipped to assume a dynamic role in the school library, which is a nerve center for collaboration with students and teachers, and they are equal to the critical task of teaching students the importance of technology, communication and learning in today’s world.
Programs and Degrees
- Reading M.S.
- Reading M.S. with Reading Specialist Certificate
- Educational Management M.S. with Principal Certification and Reading Specialist Certification
Library Science Program
- School Library and Information Science M.S. with School Librarian Standard Certificate (EC-12)
- School Library and Information Science M.S. with School Librarian Standard Certificate EC-12 and Master Technology Teacher Certification
- School Librarian Standard Certificate EC-12 Certificate
Instructional Design and Technologies
- Instructional Design and Technology M.S.
- Instructional Design and Technology M.S. with Game Theory and Design Specialization
- Instructional Design and Technology M.S. with Human Resource Management Specialization
- Instructional Design and Technology M.S. with Industrial/Organizational Psychology Specialization
- Instructional Design and Technology M.S. with Information Science Specialization
UHCL’s College of Education graduate and undergraduate programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation for both initial teacher preparation and advanced educator preparation. We’re one of only 14 educator preparation programs in Texas to hold this accreditation. The College of Education is also accredited by the State Board for Educator Certification/Texas Education Agency and holds accreditations from a number of organizations for individual specializations and certification programs.
We’ve earned national recognition for accomplishment and innovation, including the Christa McAuliffe Award for Excellence in Teacher Education.