Doctoral Writing Assessment
The Center for Educational Programs (CEP) will provide the following to the Educational Leadership and Curriculum & Instruction departments for their potential UHCL doctoral applicants who wish to take the writing assessment as part of their admission requirements:
- Secure location to take the writing assessment
- Two (2) electronic devices with camera ability ie...Computer, cell phone, or laptop
- Scoring of the writing assessment using a provided rubric
- Delivery of the writing assessment to the Chair of Admissions in both electronic and hard copy format
The writing assessment will be given by the Center for Educational Programs (CEP) virtually via zoom.
Procedures and Regulations
- Each applicant should plan to stay for 4 hours, 3.5 hours for the exam plus, 15 minutes for test check-in/information/set-up time and one 15 minute break (if needed).
- Applicants should be prepared to show a copy of their registration form (if applicable) and a valid I.D. (government-issued, passport, etc.) when checking in for the assessment.
- Applicants will be provided two writing prompts. The applicant will select one and respond by writing a 5-7 page paper.
- At the end of the assessment session, the applicant will email their saved document to CEP@uhcl.edu.
- Each applicants' written assessment document will be scored by two (2) College of Education faculty members. If the two scorers disagree on whether the score on the exam is acceptable, a third scorer will resolve the discrepancy.
- Applicants will be notified of score in approximately one (1) week.
Registration (Three-Step Process)
- A faculty member will contact the Center for Educational Programs to provide staff with the name(s) of the prospective UHCL doctoral applicant and approval to take the exam.
- A faculty member will provide the UHCL doctoral applicant with the Center for Educational Programs' phone number (281) 283-3529 for making testing arrangements.
- Applicants will be able to register online and pay by using MasterCard or Visa.
Writing Assessment Fee (includes scoring)
In-State Fee: $150.00
Reschedule Fee: $25.00
Out-of-State Fee: $175.00
Reschedule Fee: $50.00
Additional Exam Details
For additional information regarding the exam, please download the Protocol for Administering the Doctoral Writing Assessment to Program Applicants.
If you have any questions, call 281-283-3530 or email email@example.com.