The Center for Educational Programs (CEP) will provide the following to the Educational Leadership and Curriculum & Instruction departments for their potential UHCL doctoral applicants who wish to take the writing assessment as part of their admission requirements:
- Secure location to take the writing assessment
- Computer or laptop
- USB flash drive
- Scoring of the writing assessment using a provided rubric
- Delivery of the writing assessment to the Chair of Admissions in both electronic and hard copy format
- Each applicant should plan to stay for 2.5 hours, 2 hours for the exam plus, 15 minutes for test check-in/information and one 15-minute break (if needed).
- Applicants should be prepared to show a copy of their registration form (if applicable) and a valid I.D. (government-issued, passport, etc.) when checking in for the assessment.
- A secure location will be provided for applicants to lock up their personal items, such as bags, purses, and cell phones.
- Applicants will be provided two writing prompts. The applicant will select one and respond by writing a 5-7 page paper.
- At the end of the assessment session, the applicant will deliver his or her saved work on a USB flash drive and testing folder to proctor.
- Each applicants' essay will be scored by two (2) College of Education faculty members. If the two scorers disagree on whether the score on the exam is acceptable, a third scorer will resolve the discrepancy.
- Applicants will be notified of score in approximately one (1) week.
- A faculty member will contact the Center for Educational Programs to provide staff with the name(s) of the prospective UHCL doctoral applicant and approval to take the exam.
- A faculty member will provide the UHCL doctoral applicant with the Center for Educational Programs’ phone number (281) 283-3529 for making testing arrangements.
- Applicants will be able to register online at www.cep.uhcl.edu and pay by using MasterCard or Visa. Additionally, they can register in person or by mail and pay with a check.
Writing Assessment Fee (includes scoring)
In-State Fee: $150.00
Reschedule Fee: $25.00
Out-of-State Fee: $175.00
Reschedule Fee: $50.00
Fall 2018 Sessions
Additional Exam Details
For additional information regarding the exam, please download the Applicant Information Sheet: Protocol for Administering the Doctoral Writing Assessment to Program Applicants.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Tonya D. Jeffery via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Center for Educational Programs (CEP) at (281) 283-3529.