Emergency Evacuation Transportation Registration
Current registration for evacuation is valid for the current hurricane season. Hurricane season is June 1st – November 30th. Students living on campus that need this service, must be registered by the start of the fall semester. Seats are reserved on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Registration opens on first day of class for the 8-week summer semester, and closes on the last day of fall open registration. Students living on campus, must renew registration, each year. During the registration period, students may complete and submit the registration form and travel waiver online at:
Emergency Evacuation Transportation Registration Form
A registration confirmation will be sent to your UHCL email account.
Note: If you are not 18 years of age at the time of registration, a parent/guardian’s electronic signature will be required for travel with the university.
Changes to Personal Information
It is the student’s responsibility to update changes to personal information (phone number, address, emergency contact, etc.) via E-Services. Once logged into E-Services, select “Personal Information." If you need assistance updating personal information, contact SAC.
In the Event of an Evacuation
In the event of a student evacuation, registered students will receive notice by phone/email.
Report to the designated check-in location, at the date and time provided in phone/email communications. Registered students must ride the charted buses provided by the university, and are not allowed to drive personal vehicles to the evacuation shelter. Students are encouraged to bring items listed in the “What to Bring section.” Further information and instructions, will be provided upon check-in.
In the case that chartered buses are recalled by state emergency services, students will need to make their own personal arrangements for evacuation. Registered students may receive information about alternative methods of self-evacuation through local government resources.
Be aware that notification time can vary greatly. Not only do hurricanes develop at different rates (sometimes in just hours), but the threat to our area must be assessed by weather, government and university officials.
What To Bring
- Current UHCL ID Card
- Passport, I-20/Immigration documents
- Driver's license and important documents
- Students are limited to 1 suitcase and 1 carry-on bag
- Clothes and toiletries for 5-7 days
- Pillow, blanket, towels and medications
- Water and snacks for bus ride
- Money-cash: You may have to purchase your own food and power outages may affect ATMs, credit card and check transactions.
At the Emergency Shelter
Registered students will receive phone/email notice with detailed information about evacuation. Shelter accommodations may be provided by a host university, or government emergency shelter. Students should expect very basic shelter accommodations, such as sleeping on an open gym floor without cots in a non-air conditioned building with limited resources. Students must abide by the emergency shelter's rules and UHCL's Student Code of Conduct. (See Student Rights and Responsibilities, reference: Student Life Policies Handbook.)
For More Information
- To view a summary about hurricane evacuation at UHCL, download the Student Hurricane Evacuation Information Flyer.
- Evacuation Travel Waiver Form and Dependent Details for Online UHCL Evacuation Transportation.
- If you have questions about this service, contact the Student Assistance Center (SAC).
- To read more about hurricane preparation, view Flood, Hurricane and Storm Surge.