Please note that the Wagner-Peyser grant has ended and is no longer offered.
This information is for historical purposes.
BayTech Cyber Security Training Grant 2016
Cyber Security Institute (CSI)
Delta Building, University of Houston-Clear Lake
2700 Bay Area Blvd
Houston, TX 77058
BayTech Cyber Security Training Grant (flyer)
Free training for unemployed military veterans, dislocated aerospace workers, and other dislocated individuals who possess the education and experience required. Only participants that commit to completing the course will be accepted.
24 Seats Available
By partnering and collaborating with UHCL, this grant is intended to
- Develop a regional cyber security framework applicable to diverse Houston industries such as Aerospace, Petrochemical, Energy, Medical, and The Port of Houston
- Develop a cyber security curriculum, train the trainer, and employ instructors at the collegiate level
- Create a regional cyber security council
Education and Experience Requirements
- Previous education/experience in computer technologies, including networking, IT, systems administration, computer science, etc.
- Some college - Community college, 4 year college, in the study of technologies.
- Two or more years of work experience in maintaining information systems or networks.
- Output will make workers ready for technical security work in the IT field, so aptitude and experience with technology is more important than degrees or certifications.
The grant-sponsored training covers three distinct but related components to prepare
the participants for jobs requiring information and network security know-how.
|Component 1||Component 2||Component 3|
|Network Management & Security (NMS)||Communication, Presentation, and Job Readiness Skills||Cybersecurity Capstone Class|
|Offered by the CSI||Offered by the San Jacinto Community College||Offered by the CSI|
|Class times: Friday 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM; Sat 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM||Class times: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM; Monday thru Friday||Class times: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM; Wednesday & Thursday|
|April - August||June 6-12, June 27-July 3||June 15, 22, July 3, 13, 6, 13, 20, 21, 27, 28, Aug. 3, 4|
Location for Training
Classes will take place at either University of Houston – Clear Lake or University of Houston Main campus as well as two weeks at San Jacinto College – location TBD. Map and directions to University of Houston-Clear Lake campus.
24 seats split between UH Main/UH Clear Lake. Classes start Apr 1 at UH Clear Lake
and Jun 6 at UH Main.
- Training Orientation
- Date:Thursday, March 31
- Time: 9:30AM – 11:00 AM
- Location: Delta 201
- UH Main - 8 week training
- Two weeks at SJCD
- Monday –Friday
- 8:00am – 5:00pm
- Friday - 1:00pm - 6:00pm
- Saturday - 8:00am – 1:00pm
- Some weeks include Wednesday and Thursday 8:00am -5:00 pm
- Two weeks at SJCD – Monday – Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm
Class option is not given