BayTech Cyber Security Training Grant
- Training provider: The Cyber Security Institute (CSI)
- Training dates: June - September, 2015
- Training location: Delta Building, University of Houston-Clear Lake 2700 Bay Area Blvd Houston, TX 77058
Through a workforce training grant led by the BayTech, UHCL is offering a workforce training opportunity in Network Management & Security training to currently unemployed military veterans (or discharged soon), aerospace workers, or others (in that priority).
20 Spots Available
By partnering and collaborating with UHCL, this grant is intended to:
- Develop a regional cybersecurity framework applicable to diverse Houston industries such as Aerospace, Petrochemical, Energy, Medical, and The Port of Houston
- Develop a cybersecurity curriculum, train the trainer, and employ instructors at the collegiate level
- Create a regional Cybersecurity Council
Education and Experience Requirements
- Previous education/experience in computer technologies, including networking, IT, systems administration, computer science, etc.
- Some college: Community college, 4 year college, in the study of technologies.
- Two or more years of work experience in maintaining information systems or networks.
- Output will make workers ready for technical security work in the IT field, so aptitude and experience with technology is more important than degrees or certifications.
The grant-sponsored training covers three distinct but related components to prepare the participants for jobs requiring information and network security know-how.
Network Management & Security (NMS)
Communication, Presentation, and Job Readiness Skills
Cybersecurity Capstone Class
Four classes (160 hours of training)
80 hours of cybersecurity capstone experience in vulnerability analysis, protocol development, and hands-on projects
Offered by the CSI
Offered by the San Jacinto Community College
Offered by the CSI
Class times: Friday 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM; Sat 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Class times: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Monday thru Friday
Class times: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Wednesday & Thursday
June - September (2015)
June 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 29,30 | July 1, 2, 3 (2015)
8/6, 8/13, 8/20, 8/27, 9/3, 9/10, 9/17, 9/24, 9/16, 9/23 (2015)
Location for Training
Classes will take place at University of Houston-Clear Lake as well as two weeks at San Jacinto College-Central Campus. Map and directions to University of Houston-Clear Lake campus.
Training Schedule for the Summer 2015 Wagner-Peyser Training
Wagner-Peyser training schedule (click image for print version)
Classes start the week of June 1, 2015
- University of Houston-Clear Lake
- 17 Week training
- Friday - 1:00pm - 6:00pm Saturday - 8:00am - 1:00pm
- Some weeks include Wednesday and Thursday 8:00am -5:00 pm
- Two weeks at San Jacinto College - Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm
To apply, contact Ruby Smith from Workforce Solutions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-576-2580 x237. Questions about the training should be addressed to Dr. T. Andrew Yang at Yang@UHCL.edu or (281) 283-3835.